This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
DPF Soot Loading and Regeneration:A Lumped Parameter Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel particulate filters are well known for their efficiency and reliability in trapping particulate matter out of diesel engines.
In the last years, many efforts have been done to improve their performances, leading to the employment of new materials and architectures, as well as sophisticated regeneration and management strategies.
A lumped parameter model has been developed by the authors able to ensure good accuracy and fast processing for DPF control applications.
In this paper, the attention is at first addressed towards the loading process; the evolution with time of pressure drop inside the filter structure is computed and basing on the engine operative condition, a parametrization of the deposited soot layer profile is proposed, in which the effect of the flow distribution at the cross section of the filter is accounted for. The regeneration process is then investigated and temperature profile inside the filter channel is analyzed.
The developed model is described in detail and some significative results are presented and discussed.
CitationChiatti, G., Chiavola, O., and Falcucci, G., "DPF Soot Loading and Regeneration:A Lumped Parameter Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0441, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0441.
- Stratakis G.A. ‘Experimental investigation of catalytic soot oxidation and pressure drop characteristics in wall-flow diesel particulate filters’ UTh/MIE 11 2004
- Pinturaud D. Charlet A. Caillol C. Girot P. Briot A. ‘Experimental study of DPF loading and incomplete regeneration’ SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0094
- Bissett E.J. ‘Mathematical model of the thermal regeneration of a wall-flow monolith diesel particulate filter’ Chemical Engineering Science 1984 39 1233 1244
- Konstandopoulos A.G. Kostoglou M. Skaperdas E. Papaioannou E. Zarvalis D. Kladopoulou E. ‘Fundmental studies of diesel particulate filters: transient loading, regeneration and aging’ SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1016
- Koltsakis G.C. Stamatelos A.M. ‘Modes of catalytic regeneration in diesel particulate filters’ Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 1997 36 4155 4165
- Kladopoulou E.A. Yang S.L. Johnson J.H. Parker G.G. Konstandopoulos A.G. ‘A study describing the performance of diesel particulate filters during loading and regeneration - a lumped parameter model for control applications’ SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0842
- Chiavola O. Falcucci G. ‘Numerical simulation of soot deposition in diesel particulate filters’ ASME Paper ICES 2006-1415
- Chiavola O. Falcucci G. ‘DPF soot profile features accounting for engine duty-cycle’ ASME Paper ICEF 2006-1558
- Chiavola O. Falcucci G. ‘Influence of soot profile on overheating during regeneration’ SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1139
- Chiatti G. Chiavola O. Falcucci G. ‘DPF soot layer evolution related to vehicle mission profile’ AVL User Meeting Graz 2007
- Peters B.J. ‘Numerical simulation of a diesel particulate filter during loading and regeneration’ ASME Paper ICES2003-584
- Adler J. ‘Ceramic diesel particulate filters’ International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology 2005 2 6 429 439
- Stratakis G.A. Pontikakis G.N. Stamatelos A.M. ‘Experimental validation of a fuel additive assisted regeneration model in silicon carbide diesel filters’ Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs. 1997 218 [D]: J. Automobile Engineering 729 744
- Ansys Inc. FLUENT 6.1.22 user manual
- AVL List GMBH BOOST v 5.0 user manual
- Hinterberger C. Olesen M. Kaiser R. ‘3D simulation of soot loading and regeneration of diesel particulate filter systems’ SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1143
- Konstandopoulos A.G. Skaperdas E. Masoudi M. ‘Microstructural properties of soot deposits in diesel particulate traps’ SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1015
- Tang W. Wahiduzzaman S. Leonard A. ‘A lumped/1D combined approach for modelling wall-flow diesel particulate filters - applicable to integrated engine/aftertreatment simulations’ SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3971
- Stratakis G.A. Stamatelos A.M. ‘Flow distribution effects in the loading and catalytic regeneration of wall-flow diesel particulate filters’ Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs. 2004 218 [D]: J. Automobile Engineering 203 216
- Stratakis G.A. Stamatelos A.M. ‘Flow maldistribution measurements in wall-flow diesel filters’ Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs. 2004 218 [D]: J. Automobile Engineering 995 1009