This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Evaluation of a Semi-Active Magnetorheological Mount
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents the design and control aspects of a magnetorheological (MR) fluid based mount. The proposed design yields a high static stiffness and a low dynamic stiffness in the working frequency range of the mount, enhancing the vibration isolation capabilities of the mount compared to existing hydraulic mounts. Vertical vibrations, namely displacement/force transmissibility, can be isolated or significantly reduced, in real time, by controlling the fluid yield stress through an applied electric current.
The mount governing equations are derived and the effectiveness of the mount is evaluated for two cases: low frequency-high displacement and at high frequency-low displacement. These cases correspond to the operation of the mount in squeeze mode and in flow mode, respectively. Preliminary results on the implementation of a skyhook control strategy are also presented.
CitationCiocanel, C., Nguyen, T., Schroeder, C., and Elahinia, M., "Performance Evaluation of a Semi-Active Magnetorheological Mount," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0429, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0429.
- Ahn Y. Ahmadian M. Morishita S. On the design and development of a magneto-rheological mount J. Vehicle System Dynamics 32 199 216 1999
- Stelzer J.G. Schulz M.J. Kim J. Allemang R.J. A magnetorheological semi-active isolator to reduce noise and vibration transmissibility in automobiles J. of Int. Mat. Sys. and Struct. 14 12 743 765 2003
- Hong S.R. Choi S.B. Jung W.J. Ham I.B. Kim D.K. Vibration control of an ER mount subjected to high static loads J. Sound and Vibration 242 4 740 748 2001
- Hong S.R. Choi S.B. Jung W.J. Jeong W.B. Vibration isolation of structural systems using squeeze mode ER mounts J. of Int. Mat. Sys. and Struct. 13 421 424 2002
- Hong S.R. Choi S.B. Lee D.Y. Comparison of vibration control performance between flow and squeeze mode ER mounts: Experimental work J. Sound and Vibration 291 740 748 2006
- Woods R.I. Lawrence K.L. Modeling and Simulation of Dynamic Systems Prentice Hall London 1997
- Srinivasan A.V. McFarland M.D. Smart Structures: Analysis and Design Cambridge University Press New York 2001
- Lord Corporation MRF 132AD Product Bulletin 2003
- Lee Y.W. Lee C.W. Dynamic Analysis and Control of an Active Engine Mount System Proc Instn Mech Engrs, Part D, J Automobile Engineering 216 921 931 2003