This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advances in Automated Coupling of CFD and Radiation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Research and development engineers have paid much attention to coupling commercial tools for examining complex systems, recently. The purpose of this paper is to demonstrate an automated coupling of a CFD program with a commercial thermal radiation tool. Based on a previous work the coupling behaviour of a parallelized CFD code is being demonstrated. The automation thus speeds up the calculation procedure even for transient simulations not relying on codes of just one vendor. The simulation is then compared with measurements of temperatures of an actual SUV and conclusions are drawn.
CitationRauch, C., Hörmann, T., Jagsch, S., and Almbauer, R., "Advances in Automated Coupling of CFD and Radiation," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0389, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0389.
- Cross M., Croft T., Slone A., Williams A., Christakis N., Patel M., Bailey C., Pericleous K., “Computational Modelling of Multi-Physics and Multi-Scale Processes in Parallel”, Int. J. Comput. Meth. Eng. Sci Mech. 8(2), 2007, pp. 63-74.
- Bendell E., “Investigation of a Coupled CFD and Thermal Methodology for Prediction of Vehicle Underbody Temperatures”, Ist European UGM for Automotive Applications, Neu-Ulm, Germany, 2005.
- Jelic S., Fares E., Alajbegovic A., “Lattice-Boltzmann flow simulation of the modified SAE model with heated plug including conduction and radiation effects”, VTMS 8, pp. 685-694, C640/075/2007.
- Rauch C., Moshammer T., Almbauer R., “Thermal Radiation Benchmarks for the Automotive Industry”, VTMS 8, 2007, pp. 695-704, C640/001/2007.
- Wolf K., “MPCCI - The General Code Coupling Interface”, EACC 2007, pp. 317-325.
- AVL fire v.8 CFD Code Coupling, User Manual, 2006.
- Puntigam W., Almbauer R., Hager J., Balic J., “Transient Co-Simulation of Comprehensive Vehicle Models by Time Dependent Coupling”, SAE 2006-01-1604.
- Rauch C., Hörmann T., Jagsch S., Almbauer R., “Automated Coupling of CFD and Radiation”, 3rd EACC 2007, Frankfurt/Main, Germany, CD.
- Hörmann T., Rauch C., Moshammer, T.,Almbauer R., “Consideration of the Thermal Behaviour in a Vehicle Underhood by Coupled 0D-1D and 3D Simulations”, VTMS 8, 2007, pp. 705-715, C640/035/2007.