This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Flow around a Generic Pickup Truck with RSM Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) was used to simulate the flow field over a pickup truck. The simulation was based on a transient state formulation and the focus of the simulation was to assess the capabilities of the current RSM (Reynolds Stresses Model) in CFD tools for vehicle aerodynamic development for pickup trucks. Detailed comparisons were made between the CFD simulations and the existing experiments for a generic pickup truck. It was found that the flow structures obtained from the CFD calculations are very similar to the corresponding measured mean flows. Furthermore, the surface pressure distributions are captured reasonably well by the CFD analysis. Comparison for computational results was carried out for both linear Pressure Strain model (Launder, Reece and Rodi, 1978) and Quadratic Pressure Strain model (Speziale, Sarkar and Gatski, 1991). The CFD results of Linear and Quadratic RSM are very close to the test data. The CFD analysis of the two RSM models gives similar results for aerodynamic drag, lift and pressure coefficients. This suggests that RSM model can be used to aid the aerodynamic development of pickup trucks and that quadratic model does not do better than linear model as to the distributions of pressure and average velocity.
|Technical Paper||CFD Simulations for Flow Over Pickup Trucks|
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Performance of a Drag Reduction Device on a Full-Scale Tractor/Trailer|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Investigation of the Near Wake of a Pick-up Truck|
CitationZhu, H. and Yang, Z., "Simulation of Flow around a Generic Pickup Truck with RSM Model," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0324, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0324.
- Hogg S Leschziner M A Computation of Highly Swirling Confined Flow with a Reynolds Stress Turbulence Model AIAAJ 1989 27 1 57 63
- Cloi Y D Launder B E Numerical Computation of Turbulence Flow in a Square-Section 180 Degbend J of Fluids Engineering, Trans A S M E 1989 111 55 68
- Al-Gami A.M. Bernal L.P. Khalighi B. “Experimental investigation of the near wake of a pick-up truck,” SAE- 2003-01-0651 2003
- Lokhande B. Sovani S. Khalighi B. “Transient simulation of the flow field around a generic pickup truck,” SAE- 2003-01-1313 2003
- Khalighi B. Pugsley D. “External aerodynamic simulations around a generic pickup truck using a lattice Boltzmann approach,” GM R&D Report 9755 March 2004
- Fluent 6.2 Ansys Inc. 2005
- ICEM-CFD 10.0 Ansys Inc. 2005
- Speziale C G Sarkar S Gatski T B Modeling the Pressure-Strain Correlation of Turbulence: An Invariant Dynamical Systems Approach J. Fluid Mech. 227 245 272 1991
- Zhigang Yang Braham Khalighi CFD Simulations for Flow over Pickup Trucks SAE Paper, No. 2005-01-0547 2005