This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison Between the Conventional Body-Fitted and the Lattice Boltzmann CFD Methods for the Flow around a Generic Pickup Truck
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) has gained popularity as a tool for many airflow situations including road vehicle aerodynamics. This trend, to bring CFD to bear on vehicle aerodynamic design issues, is appropriate and timely in view of the increasing competitive and regulative pressures being faced by the automotive industry. For a large portion of the engineering community, the primary source of CFD capabilities is through the purchase of commercial CFD codes. This paper summarizes the results of a series of benchmark external aerodynamic simulations that were carried out for a generic pickup truck model using two commercial CFD codes, namely Fluent and the PowerFLOW. For direct comparisons the computations and the experiments were performed for the same model (vehicle) geometry and under similar flow conditions.
The comparisons between time-averaged measurements and computations revealed that the CFD calculations were able to track the flow trends well, however, the ability of the codes to accurately predict the absolute values were limited. Also, the comparison the CFD results suggest that there is no significant differences between the two CFD codes in terms of predicting the flow characteristics for the problem considered in this study. The accuracy of predicting the drag coefficient for the pickup truck model is within 14%.
CitationKhalighi, B., "Comparison Between the Conventional Body-Fitted and the Lattice Boltzmann CFD Methods for the Flow around a Generic Pickup Truck," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0323, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0323.
- Al-Garni, L. Bernal Khalighi, B. “Experimental Investigation of the near Wake of a Pickup Truck,” SAE Paper no. 2003-01-0651 2003
- Lokhande, B. Sovani, S. D. Khalighi, B. “Transient Simulation of the Flow Field around a Generic Pickup Truck,” Journal of Commercial Vehicles, SAE Transactions Paper no. 2003-01-1313 September 2004
- Jindal, S. Khalighi, B. Iaccarino, G. “Numerical Investigation of Road Vehicle Aerodynamics Using the Immersed Boundary RANS Approach” SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems, 2005-01-0546 March 2006
- Makowski F.T. Kim S.-E. “Advances in External-Aero Simulation of Ground Vehicles Using the Steady RANS Equations: SAE paper no. 2000-01-484 2000
- Issa, R.I. “Rise of Ttotal Pressure in Frictional Flow” AIAA Journal 33 4 1994
- Fluent 6.0 User's Guide Fluent Inc. Lebanon, NH 2001
- Chen, S. Doolen, G. D. “Lattice Boltzmann Method for Fluid Flows” Annu. Rev. Fluid Mechanics 30 329 364 1998
- Lietz, R. Mallick, S. Kandasamy, S. Chen, H. “Exterior Airflow Simulations using a Lattice Boltzmann Aproach” SAE Paper 2002-0154 2002