This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Variable Inlet Guide Vanes in a Turbocharger Centrifugal Compressor: Local and Global Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine downsizing is potentially one of the most effective strategies being explored to improve fuel economy. A main problem of downsizing using a turbocharger is the small range of stable functioning of the turbocharger centrifugal compressor at high boost pressures.
Several stabilization techniques were studied to increase the compressor operating range without sacrificing the compressor efficiency. The paper presents an experimental study of one of these techniques, the axial variable inlet guide vanes (VIGV). Test rigs were put up to conduct two different experiments. The first was to study the effect of pre- rotation generated by VIGVs on the overall compressor performance and the second to determine the pressure loss through the VIGVs and to analyze the flow downstream the VIGV system using LDA (laser Doppler Anemometry) measurement.
The experimental studies have shown the advantageous of VIGVs in extending the stable functioning of the compressor associated with lower efficiency levels at middle and high flow rates. The efficiency drop at particular points of functioning of low flow rate was explained by the non symmetric flow downstream the VIGVs at high vane setting angles. Moreover the results showed that the angle of rotation of flow didn't change at a distance of two times the impeller diameter inlet of the turbocharger compressor, downstream the VIGV system.
CitationMohtar, H., Chesse, P., Yammine, A., and Hetet, J., "Variable Inlet Guide Vanes in a Turbocharger Centrifugal Compressor: Local and Global Study," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0301, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0301.
- Barker, D. L. A pre swirl generator a compressor and a method of imparting pre whirl to a gas flow WO 2005/100798 27 10 2005
- Brasz, J. J. Centrifugal compressor EP 0526387 B1 1996
- Coppinger, M. Swain, E. Performance prediction of an industrial centrifugal compressor inlet guide vane system IMechE 214 2000 153 164
- Coldman, L J. Laser Anemometry Measurement and Computation for transonic flow condition in annular cascade of high turning core turbine vanes July 1993 Nasa Technical paper 3383
- Cormerais, M. Hetet, J.F. Chesse, C. Maiboom, A. Heat Transfer Analysis in a Turbocharger Compressor: Modeling and Experiment Internal Combustion Engine Team, Laboratory of Fluid Mechanics
- Darin, L.E. Phil, M.A.D. Laser Anemometry and Partical sizing International Conference on Laser Anemometry-Advances and Application Manchester 16th-18th December 1985 UK
- Dring, R.P. Sizing criteria for laser anemometry particles Journal of Fluid Engineering 104 15 March 1982
- Hunzinker, R. Dickmann, H.P. Emmrich, R. Numerical and experimental investigation of a centrifugal compressor with an inducer casing bleed system IMechE 215 2001 783 791
- Ishino, M. Iwakiri, Y. Bessho, A. Uchida, H. Effects of variable inlet guide vanes on small centrifugal compressor performance ASME Pap 1999, 99-GT-157, 2
- Galindo, J. Serrano, J.R. Margot, X. Tiseira, A. Schorn, N. Kindl, H. Potential of flow pre-whirl at the compressor inlet of automotive engine turbochargers to enlarge surge margin and overcome packaging limitations International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2006.06.002
- Kindl, H.M. Schorn, N.A. Spaeder, U.R. Stalman, R. Swirl generator for a radial compressor US 0042588 2006
- Kyrtatos, N. Watson, N. Applications of aerodynamically induced pre whirl to small turbocharger compressor ASME, J. Eng. Power 102 934 950 1980
- Leduc, P. Dubar, B. Ranini, A Monnier, G. Downsizing of Gasoline Engine: an efficient way to reduce CO2 Emissions Oil and gas Science and technology_Rev. IFP 58 2003 1 115 127
- Mcdonald, G. Compressor inlet swirl vanes, inner sleeve and shut-off valve GB 2391265 13 07 2004
- Melling, A. Whitelaw, J.H. Seeding of gas flow for laser anemometry 15 October 1973 DISA
- Nikpour, B. Turbocharger compressor flow range improvement for further heavy duty diesel engines In: Proceedings of Thiesel-2004 Conference. Thermo-and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines 84-9705-621-3 125 143
- Toussaint, M. Podevin P Guide-Vanes upstream the impeller of centrifugal compressor
- Rodgers, C. Centrifugal compressor inlet guide vanes for increased surge margin ASME paper No.90-GT-158 1990 113 696 702
- Rudolf, W. Leopold, E. Peter, N. Spin production device for compressor wheel of turbochargers, has a flexible guide vanes with fixed area connected with support section and adjustable/deformable area connected with circular adjusting section DE102005019896 09 11 2006
- Said, T. Johan, W. Supercharged internal combustion engine EP 1482128 28 05 2003
- Stoner, G.S Schoonmaker, P.M. Inlet guide vane assembly US006039534 A 2000
- Uchida, H. Kashimoto, A. Iwakiri, Y. Transient performance prediction of the turbocharger system with the variable geometry turbochargers R&D Review of Toyota CRDL 41 3 Research report 2006
- Uchida, H. Kashimoto, A. Iwakiri, Y. Development of wide flow range compressor with variable inlet guide vane R&D Review of Toyota CRDL 41 3 Research report 2006
- Waston, N. Jonata, M. S Turbocharging the internal combustion engine Macmillan 1982
- Wimmer, R. Steindl, W. Vortex inlet vanes DE10250302 19 05 2004
- Whitfield, A. Sutton, A.J. Leonard, H.J. The development of turbocharger compressors with improved surge margin ImechE C433/063 9 12 1991
- Whitfield, A. Wallace, F.R. Atkey, C. Experimental and theoretical performance of a radial flow turbocharger compressor with inlet pre-whirl IMechE 1975 43 75
- Yamaguchi, S. Yamaguchi, H. Goto, S. Nakao, H. Nakamura, F. Effective casing treatment for turbocharger compressors IMechE Seventh international conference of turbochargers and turbo machinery 23 32 2002