This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Suspension Testing using Wheel Forces on a 3 DOF Road Load Simulator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of Wheel Force Transducers (WFTs) to acquire data for laboratory simulation is becoming standard industry practice. However, in test rigs where we have only the suspension module and not the complete vehicle, does the reproduction of the orthogonal forces and moments at the wheel centre guarantee an accurate replication of the fatigue damage in the suspension components? The objective of this paper is to review the simulation methodology for a highly non-linear suspension in a 3 DOF (degree-of-freedom) suspension test rig in which the simulation was carried out using only the three orthogonal loads and vertical displacement. The damage at critical locations in the suspension is compared with that on the road and an assessment of the simulation using the WFT is made based on a comparison of the damage on the road vs. the rig.
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Suspension Test Rig Using Virtual Modeling|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Wheel Load Measurements on Real Road Surfaces - What Accuracy to Expect?|
|Journal Article||Reducing Power Demand for Heavy Suspension Tests|
CitationDevarajan, G. and Dodds, C., "Suspension Testing using Wheel Forces on a 3 DOF Road Load Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0223, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0223.
- Rivolo P.F. and Vianello ., “ Vehicle test planning for reliability targets verification ” Proceedings of the international conference on “ Metodologie e mezzi innovative per la spermentazione nel settore automotoristico ” Firenze November 1988
- DeCuyper, J. , Coppens, D. , Liefooghe, C. , Swevers, J. , Verhaegen, M. , Advanced Drive File Development Methods for Improved Service Load Simulation on Multi Axial Durability Test Rigs Proc. of the Int. Acoustics and Vibration Asia Conference 339 354 November 11-13 1998
- Dodds, C. J. , Plummer, A. R. , Laboratory Road Simulation for Full Vehicle Testing - A Review SIAT 2001 -SAE Conference India Jan 2001
- Awate Chandrakant , Dodds, C.J. , Methodology to Derive Reliable Laboratory Tests using Limited Service Load Data SAE 2007-01-1646
- Wu, V. , Andrew, G. , Vermeulen, C , Wong, D. , Peticca, G. , Nhan, B. , Effective Solutions to Decreasing Load Conflicts Using 4DOF Road Test Simulators SAE 2007-01-1350 2007
- Xu, P. , Wong, D. , LeBlanc, P. and Peticca, G. , Road Test Simulation Technology in Light Vehicle Development and Durability Evaluation SAE 2005-01-0854 2005
- Instron Structural Testing Systems “Time Waveform Replication version 3.5F” Reference Manual