This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation and Control of Active Differential for Improving Vehicle Handling and Lateral Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2007 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this work is to investigate, using a virtual analysis and simulation, how to use an active differential system (e-diff) to improve vehicle handling and lateral performance.
The idea is to develop a vehicle model using simulation techniques that reproduces in the laboratory a real vehicle. Then on this model an active differential with a specific control-law was integrated in the rear axle, .
The real vehicle used during tests on track was a sport vehicle equipped with a 5000cc engine developing 507 HP.
Using W_Hands®, post-processing software developed by CRF (Centro Ricerche Fiat Spa), the maneuvers, executed with “active virtual model” (with e-diff controller), have been elaborated and the results (called “objective parameters”) have been analyzed.
CitationVillani, E., "Simulation and Control of Active Differential for Improving Vehicle Handling and Lateral Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0140, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0140.
- “Simulation and control of Dana's active limited slip differential e-diff”, ParkJ., DutkiewiczJeff, CooperKen, SAE 2005.
- “Race Car Vehicle Dynamics”, MillikenW. F. & MillikenD. SAE 1995.
- “Tyre and vehicle dynamics”, BHH.B. Pacejka.
- “Development of new control strategy for semi-active differential for high performance vehicle”, CheliF., PedrinelliM., RestaF., TravaglioG., et al., SAE 2007.
- “Improving Vehicle Handling and Comfort Performance using 4WS”, PascaliL., GabrielliP., CaviassoG., SAE, 2003.
- “Stability-enhanced traction and yaw control using electronic limited slip differential”, PiyabongkarnD., LewJ., GroggJ., KyleR., SAE 2006.
- “A new control strategy for semi-active differential”, CheliF., GiaramitaM. et al., Politecnico di Milano.
- “Linear optimal control system”, KwakernaakH. & SivanR..
- “A comparison of yaw stability control strategies for the active differential”, AssadianF. HancockM. IEEE 2005.
- “A comparison of braking and differential control of road vehicle yaw-sideslip dynamics”, HancockM.J, WilliamsR.A. et al., IMechE 2005.