This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Engine Roughness of a Diesel Engine Running on Stabilized Water Diesel Emulsion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2007 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
An experimental investigation has been carried out to produce a stable diesel / water emulsion fuel and use it in a diesel engine under different operating and design conditions. The use of advanced mixing technique and emulsifying agent enabled the production of stable emulsion of up to 30% water in diesel for up to one week. In some of the water/diesel ratios, the emulsion was stable for about 4 weeks.
The physical properties of the stable W/D emulsions in terms of density, surface tension, and viscosity were measured and investigated. The effect of surfactant concentration, mixing time and mixer speed has been studied. A computer image analyzer system was used to investigate the water droplets - fuel interaction and the water droplets distribution within the diesel phase. The stable emulsion has been used in an indirect injection Ricardo E6 diesel engine and performance and engine roughness parameters have been measured. The engine was fully computerized and the cylinder pressure data, crank angle data and other performance data were stored in a PC for off-line analysis. The effect of water/diesel ratio, engine speeds, loads, fuel injection angle, and engine compression ratio on combustion maximum pressure, maximum pressure rise rate, brake power output and brake specific fuel consumption has been studied. The water/diesel emulsion was stable for long enough time for transportation and use. The addition of water in diesel generally affected the engine combustion noise, brake power output and specific fuel consumption.
CitationSelim, M. and Ghannam, M., "Performance and Engine Roughness of a Diesel Engine Running on Stabilized Water Diesel Emulsion," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0132, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0132.
- Mello, J.P. Mellor, A.M. NO x Emissions from Direct Injection Diesel Engines with Water/Steam Dilution” SAE paper 1999-01-0836 1999
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with Water Injection SAE paper 1999-01-0182
- Duffy, K.P. Mellor, A.M. Further Developments on a Characteristic Time Model for NO x Emissions from Diesel Engines SAE paper 982460 1998
- Psota, M.A. Easley, W.L. Fort, T.H. Mellor, A.M. Water Injection Effects on NO x Emissions for Engines Utilizing Diffusion Flame Combustion SAE 971657 SAE Trans. J. of Engines 106 1835 1843 1997
- Kohketsu, S. Mori, K. Sakai, K. Reduction of Exhaust Emission with New Water Injection System in a Diesel Engine SAE 960033 1996
- Yoshimoto, Y. Tsukahara, M. Kuramoto, T. Improvements of BSFC by Reducing Diesel Engine Cooling Losses with Emulsified Fuel SAE 962022 1996
- Andrews, G.E. Bartle, K.D. Pang, S.W. Nurein, A.M. Diesel / Water Emulsions: Influence on Ignition Delay and Emissions Proc. Of the Int. Center for Heat and Mass Transfer Hemisphere Publ. Corp. 613 625 Sept. 1987
- Greeves, G. Khan, I.M. Onion, G. Effects of Water Introduction on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emissions 16 th Symposium Int. on Combustion 321 336 The Combustion Institute 1976
- Dryer, F.L. Water Addition to Practical Combustion Systems Concepts and Applications 16 th Symposium Int. on Combustion 321 336 The Combustion Institute 1976
- Radwan, M.S. Salem, H. A Study of Some Combustion Characteristics of Gas Oil / Water Emulsions in a Swirl Chamber Diesel Engine SAE 892056 1989
- Ryan, T.W. Storment, J.O. Wright, B.R. Waytulonis, R. The Effects of Fuel Properties and Composition on Diesel Engine Exhaust Emissions - A Review SAE 810953 1981
- Murayama, T. Morishima, Y. Tsukahara, M. Miyamoto, N. Experimental Reduction of NO x , Smoke and BSFC in a Diesel Engine Using Uniquely Produced Water (0-80%) to Fuel Emulsion SAE 780224 1978
- Coon, C.W. Multicylinder Diesel Engine Tests with Unstabilized Water in Fuel Emulsions SAE 810250 1981
- Afify, H.M. Korah, N.S. Dicky, D.W. The Effect of Air Charge Temperature on Performance, Ignition Delay and Exhaust Emissions of Diesel Engines Using W/O Emulsions as Fuel SAE 870555 1987
- Okamoto Robert A. et. al. “Multi-Media Assessment of Lubrizol's PuriNOx Water/Diesel Emulsion” State of California Environmental Protection Agency March 2004
- Impact of Lubrizol's PuriNOx water/diesel emulsion on exhaust emissions from heavy-duty engines EPA Draft Technical report EPA420-P-02-007 December 2002
- Selim, M.Y.E. Elfeky, S.M.S. Effects of Diesel/water emulsion on heat flow and thermal loading in a precombustion chamber Diesel engine Applied Thermal Eng. 21 1565-82 2001
- French, C.C.J. Hartles, E.R. Engine Temperature and Heat Flows Under high Load Conditions Proc. I.Mech.E. 179 1965