This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Consumption Simulation Model of a CNG Vehicle based on Real-world Emission Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2007 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
This research aims at establishing a procedure to simulate the fuel consumption and CO2 emissions of a CNG-powered vehicle from real-world mass emission measurement data.
In order not to be dependant on characteristic maps derived from test bed measurements a procedure to define an analytic function which describes the fuel consumption of the whole powertrain from real-world onboard emission measurements has been developed. This procedure involves developing a closed loop simulation program in Matlab/Simulink for driving resistances, driver behavior, powertrain and vehicle.
The simulation program calculates the fuel consumption and CO2 emissions with around ±3% accuracy compared with real-world measurements when the vehicle is driven on significantly different types of urban routes.
CitationCachón, L. and Pucher, E., "Fuel Consumption Simulation Model of a CNG Vehicle based on Real-world Emission Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0114, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0114.
- N.N. Communication 2001/0265 (COD) from the commission to the European parliament of 7 November 2001 on alternative fuels for road transportation and on a set of measures to promote the use of biofuels
- Catania, A.E. et al. New Modeling for Reliable Evaluation of Parameter Effects on Vehicle Fuel Consumption SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0328
- Pucher, E. et. al. Pure monovalent natural gas vehicle concept at 600 km range by new lightweight construction tanks Paper Code: F2006P128, FISITA 2006 World Automotive Congress Yokohama
- Simic, D. Energy efficiency of diesel engines with special consideration of the auxiliary power units Doctoral thesis at the Vienna University of Technology 2007
- Pucher, E. Müller, J. Real-life Emission Measurement of Light Duty Trucks with CNG, Diesel and Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3445
- Sandberg, T. Heavy Truck Modeling for Fuel Consumption Simulations and Measurements 91-7373-244-3
- N.N. Automotive Handbook Bosch Sixth Robert Bosch GmbH 978-0-7680-1513-3
- van Basshuysen, R. Schäfer, F. Internal Combustion Engine SAE International 0-7680-1139-6
- van Eldik Thieme H.C.A. The tire as a Vehicle Component Clark S.K. Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires Washington DC National Bureau of Standards 1971
- N.N. Commission Directive 1999/100/EC of 15 December 1999 adapting to technical progress Council Directive 80/1268/EEC relating to the carbon dioxide emissions and the fuel consumption of motor vehicles Official Journal of the European Communities L 334/36