This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an Electro-Hydraulic Camless VVA System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2007 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
Among variable valve actuation systems, fully flexible systems such as camless devices are the most attractive valvetrains for near-future engines. This paper presents a research activity about an electro-hydraulic camless system for internal combustion engines. The Hydraulic Valve Control (HVC) system uses hydraulic forces to open the valve while a mechanical spring is used for the closure. The system is fed by an hydraulic pump and two pressure regulators which provide two different pressure levels: a high pressure level (approximately 100 bar) for the pilot stage and a low adjustable pressure level (from 20 to 90 bar) for the actuator power stage. The valve opening duration is controlled by varying the timing of the opening signal of the pilot stage; the valve lift is adjusted varying the oil pressure of the power stage. From a general point of view, the HVC system is an open loop device for engine valve actuation.
An electro-hydraulic model of the HVC system has been built in order to analyze the whole system and to provide an accurate design tool. The HVC key element is a spool valve, which operates as a three way / three position valve. This element is designed in order to ensure the synchronization of its own motion with that of the poppet valve mass-spring system. This mechanism, which will be studied in the paper, makes the HVC system very low power demanding, because the desired engine valve lift is achieved dynamically: in this way, its energy demand is about half of that needed if the engine valve was to be opened by a static equilibrium between hydraulic and mechanical forces.
Detailed experimental and numerical analyses have been carried out on the dynamic behavior of the HVC system, on its power consumption and on the valve landing phase (which is crucial for noise and durability issues).
CitationBattistoni, M., Foschini, L., Postrioti, L., and Cristiani, M., "Development of an Electro-Hydraulic Camless VVA System," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0088, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0088.
- Clearly D. Silvas G. “Unthrottled Engine Operation with Variable Valve Intake Lift, Duration And Timing” SAE paper 2007-01-1282
- Ghauri A. Richardson S.H. Nightingale C.J.E. “Variation of Both Symmetric and Asymmetric Valve Events on a 4-Valve SI Engine and the Effects on Emissions and Fuel Economy” SAE paper 2000-01-1222 2000
- Bohac S. Assanis D.N. “Effect of Exhaust Valve Timing on Gasoline Engine Performance and Hydrocarbon Emissions” SAE paper 2004-01-3058 2004
- Anderson M.K. Assanis D.N. Filipi Z.S. “First and Second Law Analyses of a Naturally-Aspired, Miller Cycle, SI Engine with Late Intake Valve Closure” SAE paper 980889 1998
- Salber W. Wolters P. Esch T. Geiger J. Dilthey J. “Synergies of Variable Valve Actuation and Direct Injection” SAE paper 2002-01-0706
- Cope D. Wright A. “Electromagnetic Fully Flexible Valve Actuator” SAE paper 2006-01-0044 2006
- Allen J. Law D. “Production Electro-Hydraulic Variable Valve-Train for a New Generation of I.C. Engines” SAE paper 2002-01-1109
- Turner J.W.G. Kenchington S.A. Stretch D.A. “Production AVT Development: Lotus and Eaton's Electrohydraulic Closed-Loop Fully Variable Valve Train System” www.greencarcongress.com March 2006
- Denger D. Mischker K. “The Electro-Hydraulic Valvetrain System EHVS - System and Potential” SAE paper 2005-01-0774 2005
- Tuner C.W. Babbitt G.R. Balton C.S. Raimao M.A. Giordano D.D. “Design and Control of a Two-stage Electro-hydraulic Valve Actuation System” SAE Paper 2004-01-1265 2004
- Schechter M.M. Levin M.B. “Camless engine” SAE Paper 960581 1996
- Herranen M. Huntala K. Vilenius M. Liljenfeldt G. “The Electro-Hydraulic Valve Actuation (Ehva) for Medium Speed Diesel Engine - Development Steps with Simulation and Measurements” SAE paper 2007-01-1289
- Fukuo K. Iwata T. Sakamoto Y. Imai Y. Nakahara K. Lantz K.A. “Honda 3.0 Liter, New V6 Engine” SAE paper 970916 1997
- Brüstle C. Schwarzenthal D. “VarioCam Plus - A Highlight of the Porsche 911 Turbo Engine” SAE paper 2001-01-0245 2001
- Sellnau M. Rask E. “Two-Step Variable Valve Actuation for Fuel Economy, Emissions, and Performance” SAE paper 2003-01-0029 2003
- Klein F. Kühn M. Weimann H.-J. Wolpers F. Krämer M. Abtfhoff J. “The Influence of the Valve Stroke Design in Variable Valve Timing Systems on Load Cycle, Mixture Formation and the Combustion Process in Conjuction with Throttle-free Load Governing” SAE paper 981030
- Flierl R. Klüting M. “The Third Generation of Valvetrains - New Fully Variable Valvetrains for Throttle-Free Load Control” SAE paper 2000-01-1227 2000
- Bernard L. Ferrari A. Rinolfi R. Vafidis C. ”Fuel Economy Improvements Potential of UniAir Throttleless Technology” ATA Conference, Venice November 27 29 2002
- Milovanovic N. Blundell D. Gedge S. Turner J. “Cam Profile Switching (CPS) and Phasing Strategy vs. Fully Variable Valve Train (FVVT) Strategy for Transitions between Spark Ignition and Controlled Auto Ignition Modes” SAE paper 2005-01-0766
- Allen J. Law D. “Variable Valve Actuated Controlled Auto-Ignition: Speed Load Maps and Strategic Regimes of Operation” SAE paper 2002-01-0422
- Knop V. Bouliere J. Bohbot J. Jay S. “Controlling CAI™ Combustion Mode with VVA: A Simulation Approach” SAE paper 2007-01-0177
- Cairns A. Blaxill H. “The Effects Of Two-Stages Cam Profile Switching and External EGR on SI-CAI Combustion Transition” SAE paper 2007-01-0187
- Panciroli M. Cristiani M. Flora R. “Hydraulic Valve Control” Paris 2003 Magneti Marelli internal report
- Cristiani M. Petrone M. Petrecchia S. “The Hydraulic Valve Control System (HVC): Characteristics and Potential” IAV Symposium Berlin June 14 15 2007
- Foschini L. “Analisi sperimentale di un sistema elettro-idraulico (H.V.C.) per la movimentazione di valvole a fungo per motori a combustione interna” MSc Thesis University of Perugia 2006
- Battistoni M. Mariani F. Postrioti L. Grimaldi C.N. Cristiani M. Petrone M. Petrecchia S. “Numerical Analysis of a New Concept Variable Valve Actuation System” SAE paper 2006-01-3008 ; published on SAE 2006 Transactions - Journal of Engines, SAE International March 2007
- “AVL Hydsim Reference Manual” version 4.4.2 July 2005