This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emissions reduction potential of high EGR rates in D.I. Diesel engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2007 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
Exhaust gas recirculation is one important measure to achieve the EU 5 and 6 as well as the US Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions legislation. This work was conducted to quantify the EGR rate necessary to reach EU5 or 6 in three operating points representative for the New European Driving Cycle. Injection and atomisation characteristics were determined in a high pressure high temperature combustion chamber and emissions and performance tests were conducted in a single cylinder research engine. The robustness of a combustion system with high EGR rates against their deviations from the nominal value was quantified. Also, the effectiveness of both, rail pressure and boost pressure, to improve EGR compatibility was assessed.
CitationAtzler, F., Weigand, A., Rotondi, R., Kastner, O. et al., "Emissions reduction potential of high EGR rates in D.I. Diesel engines," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0024, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0024.
- Yun Reitz Combustion optimization in the low temperature diesel combustion regime International Journal of Engine Research 513 524 October 2005
- Alriksson Gjirja Denbratt The effect of charge air and fuel injection parameters on combustion with high levels of EGR in a HDDI single cylinder Diesel engine SAE 2007-01-0914 SAE World Congress Detroit, Michigan April 2007
- www.dieselnet.com May 2007
- Bauer Zhang Pfeifer Wenzlawski Diesel engine for passenger car and EU6: Entire system approach for development of fuel injection system, air/egr path and emission aftertreatment Vienna Engine Symposium April 2007
- Heywood J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill International edition 1988
- Lamping et al Einfluss des hydraulischen Durchflusses auf das motorische verhalten bei Pkw-DI-Dieselmotoren Motorische Verbrennung, VIII Tagung, Haus der Technik, München 03 2007
- Montgomery Reitz Effects of multiple injections and flexible control of boost and EGR on emissions and fuel consumption of a heavy duty diesel engine SAE 2001-01-0195 2001
- Kastner O. Atzler F. et al Multiple Injection Strategies and their effect on pollutant emission in passenger car diesel engines Conference on Thermo-and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines THIESEL Valencia 2006
- Warnatz Maas Dibble Verbrennung Springer-Verlag, 3. Auflage 2001
- Griffiths Barnard Flame and Combustion Blackie Academic and Professional 3 rd 1995
- Pischinger Becker Rohs Grünefeld Greis Wieske Reduktionspotenzial für RUß undKohlenmonoxid MTZ 11 2004
- Thumm Pantow Lutz High performance cooling systems as a contribution to meeting future emissions standards Vienna Engine Symposium April 2007