This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Analyses of Performances and Noise Emission of a Common Rail Light Duty D.I. Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2007 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
This paper illustrates a numerical and experimental analysis of performances and overall noise radiated from a common rail light duty diesel engine. The engine was equipped with two different injection systems: an under development low-cost fuel injector and a commercial Bosch one, employed for automotive applications. The injectors behaviour was compared throughout an experimental investigation that was carried out on a naturally aspirated, four strokes, two valves, single cylinder engine (225 cm3 displacement). Both engine performances, pollutant and noise emissions were measured at different operating conditions for two injection strategies. Concerning the acoustic analysis, both structure born and gasdynamic noise contributions were estimated using different experimental techniques. Contemporarily to the above campaign, a one-dimensional simulation of the investigated engine was performed, finalized to provide some information on the spray combustion and heat release realized by the two fuel injection systems (FIS). The numerical results were then compared to the experimental ones, in terms of heat release fraction, in-cylinder pressure signal and gas dynamic noise emissions.
CitationSiano, D., Valentino, G., Corcione, F., Bozza, F. et al., "Experimental and Numerical Analyses of Performances and Noise Emission of a Common Rail Light Duty D.I. Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0017, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0017.
- Stotz M. Schommers J. Duvinage F. Petrs A. Ellwanger S. Koynagi K. Gildein H. Potential of Common-Rail Injection System for Passenger Car Di Diesel Engines SAE Paper 2000-01-0944
- Beatrice C. Belardini P. Bertoli C. Lisbona M. G. Sebastiano G. M. Rossi Combustion process management in common-rail DI diesel engines by multiple injection SAE Paper 2001-24-0007
- Mallamo F. Badami M. Millo F. Effect of Compression Ratio and Injection Pressure on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Small Displacement Common Rail Diesel Engine SAE Paper 2005-01-0379
- Allocca L. Alfuso S. Montanaro A. Valentino G. Lolli M. Innovative lift direct command to inner hydraulic circuit injector comparison for diesel engines ICEF2006-1518: 2006 Fall Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division November 5-8 2006 Sacramento, USA
- Alfuso S. Allocca L. Caputo G. Corcione F.E. Montanaro A. Valentino G. Lolli M. Spray Analysis of an Innovative Direct Command Solenoid Injector for Common Rail Light Duty Diesel Engines ICLASS-2006 Aug. 27 Sept. 1 2006 Kyoto, Japan
- ISO 9614/1 “Acoustics-Determination of sound power levels of noise sources using sound intensity-Part 1:Measurement at discrete points” 1993
- Corcione F.E. Siano D. Iadevaia M. Viscardi M. Corcione G.E. “Correlation between the acoustic intensity measurements with and without an electronically fuel injection system for a small single cylinder diesel engine” Euronoise 2003 Naples, ID
- Siano D. Corcione F. E. Bozza F. Gimelli A. Manelli S. “Characterization of the Noise Emitted by a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine: Experimental Activities and 1D Simulation” SAE Noise and Vibration 2005
- GT-Power User's Manual 2005
- Hiroyasu H. Arai M. Tabata M. “Empirical Equations for the Sauter Mean Diameter of a Diesel Spray” SAE Paper 890464
- Hiroyasu H. Arai M. “Fuel Spray Penetration and Spray Angle of Diesel Engines” Trans. Of JSAE 21 5 11 1980
- Hiroyasu H. Kadota T. Arai M. “Development and Use of a Spray Combustion Modeling to Predict Diesel Engine Efficiency and Pollutant Emissions” Bulletin of JSME 26 214 569 575 1983
- Young D. Assanis D.N. “Multi-Zone DI Diesel Spray Combustion Model for Cycle Simulation Studies of Engine Performance and Emissions” SAE paper 2001-01-1246 2001
- Blair G. P. “Design and Simulation of Four -Stroke Engines” 1999 SAE, ISBN 0-7680-0440-3
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Pianese V. De Martino S. Curion R. “A Procedure for the Design of an Intake System: 1D Analysis and Experimental Validation” SAE Paper 2004-01-0142 , also in SAE Transaction, Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems 6 172 180 2005