This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydrogen Fueled Multi-cylinder Spark-ignition Engine and Storage Apparatus-A New Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 30, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to find effective solutions to the problem of air pollution due to combustion processes, attention is paid to the research projects to find alternative sources of energy to replace the rapidly depleting petroleum resources. This paper discusses the experimental studies carried out in a multi-cylinder four stroke gasoline engine using hydrogen as the sole fuel. Apart from this, a new approach on the storage apparatus has also been attempted. The main problem in the gaseous hydrogen storage has been taken care with a new system which is comprised of a capsule that contains nanomaterials in it. Hydrogen is stored in that capsule and it is directly fitted with the engine. This capsule would replace the current fuel storage cylinders. It occupies less size and it also takes care of the safety issues. The performance and emissions characteristics of the hydrogen-fueled engine at constant speed compared with that of gasoline operation has been presented. Reduction in power output, increased thermal efficiency and only NOx emissions are observed with hydrogen-fueled operation.
CitationSakthinathan, G. and Jeyachandran, K., "Hydrogen Fueled Multi-cylinder Spark-ignition Engine and Storage Apparatus-A New Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4274, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-4274.
- Sadiq Al-Baghdadi. M.A.R., (2004). “Effect of compression ratio, equivalence ratio and engine speed on the performance and emission characteristics of a spark ignition engine using hydrogen as a fuel”, Renewable Energy Vol.29, Issue 15, Dec 2004, Pages 2245-2260.
- Natkin. R.J., Tang. X., Boyer. B., Oltmans. B and Denlinger. A., (2003). “Hydrogen IC Engine Boosting Performance and NOx Study”, SAE transaction paper 2003-01-0631.
- Sadiq Al-Baghdadi. M.A.R., Shahed Al-Janabi. H.A.K., (2003). “A prediction study of a spark ignition supercharged hydrogen engine”, Energy Conversion and Management Vol 44, pp 3143-3150.
- Tang. X, Kabat. D.M, Natkin. J, Stockhausen. W.F., (2002). “Ford P2000 Hydrogen Engine Dynamometer Development”, SAE transaction paper 2002-01-0242.
- Das L.M., (2002). “Near-term introduction of hydrogen engines for automotive and agricultural application”, Internal Journal of Hydrogen Energy Vol 27. pp 479-487.
- Dillon A.C., Gilbert K.E.H., Alleman J.L., Gennett T., Jones K.M., Parilla P.A. and Heben M.J. (2001) Carbon nanotube materials for hydrogen storage, Proceedings of the 2001 DOE Hydrogen Program Review.
- Das L.M., Gulati. R, Gupta P.K., (2000). “Performance evaluation of a hydrogen-fueled spark ignition engine using electronically controlled solenoid-actuated injection system”, Internal Journal of Hydrogen Energy Vol.25 (6), pp 569-579.
- Pinkerton F.E., Wicke B.G., Olk C.H., Tibbetts G.G., Meisner G.P., Meyer M.S. and Herbst J.F. (2000) Thermogravimetric measurement of hydrogen absorption in alkali-modified carbon materials, Journal Physical Chemistry.
- Ding R.G., Lu G.Q., Yan Z.F. and Wilson M.A. (2001) Recent advances in the preparation and utilization of carbon nanotubes for hydrogen storage, Journal of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology
- Blarigan P.V., (1996). “Development of Hydrogen Fueled Internal Combustion Engine Designed for single Speed/Power operation”, SAE transaction paper 961690.
- Yi. H.S., Lee. S.J., Kim E.S., (1996). “Performance Evaluation and Emission characteristics of in-cylinder injection type hydrogen fueled engine”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy Vol 21, Issue 7, pp 617-624.3.
- Hoekestra R.L, Blarigan P.V., Mulligan. N., (1996) “NOx emissions and efficiency of hydrogen, Natural gas, and Hydrogen/Natural gas blended fuels”, SAE transaction paper 961103.
- Lee. S.J., Yi. H.S, Kim E.S., (1995). “Combustion characteristics of intake port injection type hydrogen fueled engine”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy Vol 20, Issue 4, pp 317-322.
- Moon K.J, Yong. T.K., Jong. T.L. and Song Y.L., (1995). “Performance characteristics of Hydrogen fueled engine with the Direct Injection and Spark ignition system”, SAE transaction paper 952498.
- Nagalingam. B., (1984). “Use of hydrogen in stationary combustion engines”, Summer School on Hydrogen Energy conducted in IIT Madras during 1984.
- Padiyar. K.S., (1984). “Properties of Hydrogen”, Summer School on Hydrogen Energy conducted in IIT Madras during 1984.