This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessing the Windage Tray Blockage Effect on Aeration in the Oil Sump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 29, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The windage tray effect on aeration in the engine sump was assessed by replacing much of the windage tray materials with wire meshes of various blockages. The mesh was to prevent direct impact of the oil drops spinning off the crank shaft onto the sump oil, and simultaneously, to provide sufficient drainage so that there was no significant build up of windage tray oil film that would interact with these droplets. Aeration at the oil pump inlet was measured by X-ray absorption in a production V-6 SI engine motoring at 2000 to 6000 rpm. Within experimental uncertainty, these windage tray changes had no effect on aeration. Thus activities in the sump such as the interaction of the oil drops spun from the crank shaft with the sump oil or with the windage tray, and the agitation of the sump oil by the crank case gas, were not major contributors to aeration at the pump inlet.
|Technical Paper||BASIC PROBLEMS IN THE DESIGN OF HIGH-OUTPUT AIRCRAFT ENGINES|
|Technical Paper||EGR - A Challenge for Modern Plastic Intake Manifolds|
|Journal Article||Advanced Lost Foam Casting Processes and Materials|
CitationBaran, B. and Cheng, W., "Assessing the Windage Tray Blockage Effect on Aeration in the Oil Sump," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4109, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-4109.
- Ni, B. Pieprzak, J. “Transportation and Transformation of Air Bubbles in Aerated Oil Through an Engine Lubrication System,” SAE Paper 2004-01-2915 2004
- Nemoto, S. Kawata, K. Kuribayashi, T. Akiyama, K. Kawai, H. Murakawa, H. “A Study of Engine Oil Aeration,” JSAE Review 18 271 276 1997
- Koch, F. Hardt, T. Haubner, F. “Oil Aeration in Combustion Engines - Analysis and Optimization,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1074 2001
- Choi, J.K. Min, B.S. Han, D.C. “Effect of Oil Aeration Rate on the Minimum Oil Film Thickness and Reliability of Engine Bearing,” SAE Paper 932785 1993
- Maassen, F. Koch, F. Pischinger, F. “Connecting Rod Bearing Operation with Aerated Lube Oil,” SAE Paper 981404 1998
- Manz, D. Cheng, W.K. “On-line Measurements of Engine Oil Aeration by X-Ray Absorption,” Transactions of the ASME, J. of Gas Turbines and Power 129 1 287 293 2007
- Manz, D. Cowart, J.S. Cheng, W.K. “High-speed Video Observation of Engine Oil Aeration,” SAE Paper 2004-01-2913 2004
- Deconninck, B. Delvigne, T. Videx, G. “Air-X, an Innovative Device for On-line Oil Aeration Measurement in Running Engines,” SAE Paper 2003-01-1995 2003