This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Engine Oil Deterioration Monitoring System Using Estimation Method of Oxidation Induction Time
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 29, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The research discussed in this paper revealed a strong correlation between the anti-oxidation performance of engine oils and sludge production. The results of NOx bubbling tests and engine bench tests showed that the main factors in the deterioration of anti-oxidation performance are heat, air, NOx, and unburnt fuel. Detailed analysis indicated that the rate of deterioration of anti-oxidation performance could be expressed as formulas. The use of these deterioration rate formulas to calculate the deterioration in anti-oxidation performance in a real engine showed that the formulas could be employed in a monitoring system. The use of these estimation methods of oil anti-oxidation performance by the engine control unit (ECU) would enable onboard estimation of oil deterioration.
CitationOkuyama, Y., Aikawa, K., Hoshikawa, W., and Maruyama, M., "Development of Engine Oil Deterioration Monitoring System Using Estimation Method of Oxidation Induction Time," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4091, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-4091.
- Igarashi J. NISSEKIMITSUBISHI Review 41 2 20 30 1999
- Moritani H. Kawamura M. Development and Applicationof Simulator for Engine Oil sludge formation R&D Review of Toyota CRDL 41 4 35 41 1993
- Aikawa K. maruyama M. Development of an Oil Deterioration Monitoring System by Estimating Base Number 2007-01-1565 2007
- Sakurai, T. Sekiyuseihintenkazai,Saiwai shobo 509 1973
- Schwartz, S.E. Smolenski, D.J. Development of an Automatic Engine Oil-Change Indicator System SAE paper, 870403 1987
- Mahoney, L.R. Korcek, S. The Effect of Fuel Combustion Products on Antioxidant Consumption in a Synthetic Engine Oil Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. 19 11 1980
- Korcek, S. Mahoney, L.R. Mechanism of Anti oxidant Decay in Gasoline Engines: investigation of Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate Additives SAE paper, 810014 1981
- Method to evaluate oxidation life of used engine oils Research Disclosure Journal, Research Disclosure Database Number 510074
- Sagawa. T. Nakamura. S. Study of Fuel Dilution Direct-Injection and Multipoint Injection Gasoline Engines SAE paper 2002-01-1647 2002