This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emissions from Diesel and Gasoline Vehicles Fuelled by Fischer-Tropsch Fuels and Similar Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 29, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2007 Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress & Exhibition Powertrain & Fluid Systems Conference and Exhibition
The described investigation was carried out under the umbrella of IEA Advanced Motor Fuels Agreement. The purpose was to evaluate the emissions of carbon monoxide (CO), unburned hydrocarbons (HC), nitrogen oxides (NOx), particulate matter (PM) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) from vehicles fuelled by Fischer Tropsch (FT) based diesel and gasoline fuel, compared to the emissions from ordinary diesel and gasoline.
The comparison for diesel fuels was based on a literature review, whereas the gasoline comparison had to be based on our own experiments, since almost no references were found in this field. In this context measurement according to the Federal Test Procedure (FTP) and the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) were carried out on a chassis dynamometer with a directly injected gasoline vehicle. Experiments were carried out with a reference fuel, a fuel based 70% on FT and an alkylate fuel (Aspen), which was taken to be the ultimate formula of FT gasoline.
FT based diesel generally showed good emission performance, whereas the FT based gasoline not necessary lead to lower emissions. On the other hand, the Aspen fuel did show many advantages for the emissions from the gasoline vehicle.
CitationLarsen, U., Lundorf, P., Ivarsson, A., and Schramm, J., "Emissions from Diesel and Gasoline Vehicles Fuelled by Fischer-Tropsch Fuels and Similar Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4008, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-4008.
- Alleman Teresa L. McCormick Robert L. Vertin Keith NREL “Assessment of Criteria Pollutant Emissions from Liquid Fuels Derived from Natural Gas” NREL/TP-540-31873 www.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/epact/pdfs/ftd_docket/epact_assessment.pdf 2002
- Frank Brian P. Rideout Greg Chatterjee Sougato Lowell Dana and others “A Study of the Effects of Fuel Type and Emission Control Systems on Regulated Gaseous Emissions from HD Diesel Engines” SAE 2004-01-1085 2004
- Myburgh Ian Schnell Mark Oyama Koji Sugano Hideaki Yokota Hisashi Tahara Shigeki “The Emission Performance of a GTL Diesel Fuel - a Japanese Market Study” SAE 2003-01-1946 2003
- Schaberg Paul W. Myburgh Ian Botha Jacobus J. “Comparative Emissions Performance of Sasol F-T Diesel in Current and Older Technology HD Engines” SAE 2000-01-1912 2000
- May Mike “Development and Demonstration of Fischer-Tropsch Fueled Heavy-Duty Vehicles with Control Technologies for Reduced Diesel Exhaust Emissions” http://www.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2003/session3/2003_deer_may.pdf 2003
- Syntroleum “Petition for rulemaking pursuant to 10 C.F.R. Part 492” www.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/epact/pdfs/ftd_docket/syntroleum_petition.pdf 2000
- Carbone R. Jørgensen A. Ranchet N. Rickeard D.J. Rowntree C.J. Stradling R.J. Zemroch P.J. “Fuel effects on the characteristics of particle emissions from advanced engines and vehicles” www.concawe.org/Content/Default.asp?PageID=31 2005
- Aldén Bengt Eklund Andreas Larson Thomas “Flottförsök med Eco-Par®” www.framtidsbranslen.se/bilder/slutrapport.pdf 2002
- Brent Fred D. Shah Lalit Berry Earl Schrader Charles H. Anderson John Erwin J. Ph. D. Banks Matthew G. Ullman Terry L. “EARLY ENTRANCE COPRODUCTION PLANT PHASE II Topical Report Task 2.6: FISCHER-TROPSCH DIESEL FUEL/ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND EMISSIONS” http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/DOE/DOE_reports/40658/40658-7/40658-7.pdf 2003
- Schaberg P.W. Morgan P.M. Myburgh I.S. Roets P.N.J. Botha J.J. “An Overview of the Production Properties and Exhaust emissions Performance of Sasol Slurry Phase Distillate Diesel Fuel” http://www.sasolchevron.com/dwn/ovrview2.pdf
- Clark Nigel Gautam Mridul Lyons Donald Atkinson Chris Xie Wenwei Norton Paul Vertin Keith Goguen Stephen Eberhardt James “On-Road Use of Fisher Tropsch Diesel Blends” SAE 1999-01-2251 1999
- Norton Paul Vertin Keith Clark Nigel N. Lyons Donald W. Gautam Mridul Goguen Stephen Eberhardt James “Emission From Busses With DDC6V92 Engines Using Synthetic Diesel Fuel” SAE 1999-01-1512 1999
- Redfield Joe Montemayer Alan F. Walls Mark Stavinoha Leo Ostrowski Greg Jarvinen James “Phased introduction of fuel cells into a class 8 tractor” http://www.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/epact/pdfs/ftd_docket/fuelcell_class8_tractor.pdf 2002
- Clark Nigel N. Atkinson Christopher M. Thompson Gregory J. Nine Ralph D. “Transient Comparisons of Alternative Compression Ignition Fuels” SAE 1999-01-1117 1999
- Sirman M.B. Owens E.C. Whitney K.A. “Emissions Comparison of Alternative Fuels in an Advanced Automotive Diesel Engine” SAE 2000-01-2048 2000
- US. DOE Chalk Steven “Progress Report for Fuels for Advanced CIDI Engines and Fuel Cells” http://www.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/pdfs/13.pdf 2000
- Maly Rudolf R. “Effect of GTL Diesel Fuels on Emissions and Engine Performance” http://www.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2004/session2/2004_deer_maly.pdf 2004
- Cherrillo Ralph A. Dahlstrom Mary Ann Clark Richard H. “Rigorous HDD Emissions Capabilities of Shell GTL Fuel” http://www.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2005/poster1/2005_deer_cherillo.pdf 2005
- “Tales from Berlin Five-month fleet test using synthetic fuel” http://www.mobility-and-sustainability.com/buster/buster.asp?i=wissen_21695.asp
- Li Sharon Bolton Brian Hakim Nabil “Study of Fuel Property Effects Using Future Low Emissions Heavy Duty Truck Engine Hardware” http://www.osti.gov/fcvt/deer2000/lipaper.pdf 2000
- NG Henry Ciatti Steve Miers Scott Biruduganti Munidhar “Comparing the Performance of SunDiesel™ and Conventional Diesel in a LD Vehicle and Engines” http://www.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2005/session7/2005_deer_ng.pdf 2005
- Alleman Teresa L. Eudy Leslie Miyasato Matt Oshinuga Adewale Allison Scott Corcoran Tom Chatterjee Sougato Jacobs Todd Cherrillo Ralph A. Clark Richard Virrels Ian Nine Ralph Wayne Scott Lansing Ron “Fuel Property, Emission Test, and Operability Results from a Fleet of Class 6 Vehicles Operating on GTL Fuel and Catalyzed Diesel Particle Filters” SAE 2004-01-2959
- Johnson Jack W. Berlowitz Paul J. Ryan D.F. Wittenbrink R.J. Genetti W.B. Ansell L.L. Kwon Y. Rickeard D.J. “Emissions from Fischer-Tropsch Diesel Fuels” SAE 2001-01-3518 2001
- Carfolio http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=113938&Volkswagen March 2006
- Aspen/ Husquarna brochure for Aspen 4T Gasoline
- “Policy Guidelines for Reducing Vehicle Emissions in Asia” http://www.adb.org/documents/guidelines/Vehicle_Emissions/cf_ch04.pdf May 2006
- http://www.dieselnet.com April 2006
- http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/julqtr/40cfr86.544-90.htm May 2006
- Alleman Teresa L. McCormick Robert L. NREL ‘Fischer-Tropsch Diesel Fuels - Properties and Exhaust Emissions: A Literature Review’ SAE 2003-01-0763 2003
- Eudy Leslie Barnitt Robb Alleman Teresa L. “Yosemite Waters Vehicle Evaluation Report” http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/38195.pdf 2005