This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Developing Transmission Fluids with Enhanced Durability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 29, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fluids for new generations of step-automatic transmissions must provide durable service under severe conditions in a variety of environments. Fluid degradation under severe stress can lead to changes in frictional properties, potentially resulting in undesirable noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) events.
This paper describes the development of a new transmission fluid that delivers significant improvement in squawk durability. The formulation approach resulted in optimum friction characteristics that are essential to overcome stress-induced loss of friction and to reduce NVH. A factorial design of experiments was used in the development process to relate additive effects with friction characteristics of both fresh and aged fluids. Friction durability after laboratory aging was compared with friction characteristics and durability data obtained from field-aged fluids
CitationIyer, R., Tersigni, S., and Jao, T., "Developing Transmission Fluids with Enhanced Durability," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3986, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3986.
- Wellman T. Govindswamy K. Braun E. Wolff K. “Aspects of Driveline Integration for Optimized Vehicle NVH Characteristics SAE Paper No. 2007-01-2246
- Cameron T.M. Tersigni S.H. McCombs T. Jao T-C “ATF Effects on Friction Stability in Slip Controlled Torque Converter Clutches” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-3255
- Cameron T.M. Tersigni S.H. McCombs T. Devlin M. Jao T-C “ATF Friction Properties and Shift Quality” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-3255
- Wetzel A. Bein A. Edgar J. Graham R. Nolan S. McConnachie G. “Understanding Oil Aging in Extended Drain Axle and Transmission Applications” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-3592
- Scherer H. “ZF 6-Speed Automatic Transmissions for Passenger Cars SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0596
- Calcut B.D. Sarkar R. Linden J.L. “Estimating the Useful Life of an ATF Using an Integrated Bulk Oxidation and Friction Degradation Model” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-3028
- Iyer R.N. “Transmission Fluids with Advanced Durability” Proceedings of the 14 th International Colloquium on Tribology 467 470 January 2004 Esslingen, Germany