This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mojacar Brake Wear and NVH: Dyno Simulation Concept
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 25th Annual Brake Colloquium
Efficient development and testing of brake systems requires further substitution of expensive and time consuming vehicle testing by appropriate dynamometer testing. Some of the current simulation methods do not reflect the needs of engineering and the progress made in the development of test equipment. The lack of suitable procedures may cause unexpected delays in the realization of projects.
Road load simulations for lifetime prediction on brake dynamometers have a long history, however never got a real break-through in Europe - possibly because the prediction quality and efficiency did not satisfy.
This paper concentrates first on the analysis of the vehicle data recorded in Mojacar (Spain) which is a sign-off test for wear and noise for brands of Ford Motor Company for European market. Specific attention is given to different types of driving resistances and road profiles and to consideration of different methods for numerical description and comparison of road load data.
In its second part the paper describes possible methodologies of dynamometer simulation. A modular simulation concept is suggested, allowing wear prediction only and various combinations of wear and noise testing.
CitationGrochowicz, J., Ruymen, J., Abendroth, H., Augsburg, K. et al., "Mojacar Brake Wear and NVH: Dyno Simulation Concept," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3959, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3959.
- Mackenzie D. K. “Car Brake Usage and Test Schedules” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engers. (A.D.) 1 1962 63
- Rhee S. K. “Brake Dynamometer Evaluation of the Detroit Traffic Road Test” SAE Colloquium 1977
- Abendroth H. “A New Approach to Brake Testing” SAE Colloquium 1985
- Abendroth H. “The Integrated Test Concept Dyno - Vehicle” SAE Colloquium 1993
- Abendroth H. “The Integrated Test Concept: Dyno - Vehicle, Performance - Noise” SAE Colloquium 2000
- Yuan Y. Duncan T. “Development of a LACT Simulating Procedure” 18th Annual Brake Colloquium & Engineering Display October 1 4 2000
- Abendroth H. “Problems of Correlating Dynamometer and Vehicle Brake Test Results: Brake Squeal” SAE Colloquium 2001
- Haverkamp M. “Brake noise assessment by means of vehicle road tests subjective parameters and objective measurement concepts” SAE Colloquium 2005
- EKN Europe “Requirements for in-vehicle brake noise measurement systems” EKN 3001 20 11 2006