This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Dynamic Pad Stiffness Influencing Brake Squeal
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 25th Annual Brake Colloquium
Pad stiffness is considered to influence brake squeal, and it is commonly known that the use of stiff pads promotes brake squeal. The use of soft pads, however, adversely influences brake feeling, which is a basic performance characteristic of braking. From the viewpoint of pad stiffness, therefore, brake squeal and brake feeling contradict each other.
Brake feeling is influenced by static pad stiffness, which is obtained by measuring static compression strain. On the other hand, a recent study has shown that brake squeal is influenced by dynamic pad stiffness, which is evaluated by exciting the pads at the frequency and vibration amplitude which cause brake squeal [1, 2 and 3]. This study focuses on the difference between static pad stiffness and dynamic pad stiffness, and investigates the possibility of compatibility between brake squeal and brake feeling.
Researchers have also reported that dynamic pad stiffness is load dependent, and that this load dependency influences brake squeal [1, 2 and 3]. We have therefore investigated the factors of load dependency of dynamic pad stiffness.
CitationNishizawa, Y., Wakamatsu, S., Yanagida, H., and Takahara, Y., "Study of Dynamic Pad Stiffness Influencing Brake Squeal," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3956, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3956.
- Oura Yasunori Kurita Yutaka Matsumura Yuichi “Influence of Dynamic Stiffness in a Contact Region on Disc Brake Squeal” JSAE Dynamic and Design Conference 2003 614 2004
- Oura Yasunori Kurita Yutaka Matsumura Yuichi “Influence of Dynamic Stiffness in a Contact Region on Disc Brake Squeal” JSAE Dynamic and Design Conference 2004 225 2005
- Oura Yasunori Kurita Yutaka Matsumura Yuichi Influence of Dynamic Stiffness in a Contact Region on Disc Brake Squeal” JSAE Dynamic and Design Conference 2006 709 2006
- Millner N. “An Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal” SAE No. 780332 1978
- Nishiwaki Masaaki “Study on Brake Squeal” JSME 900-44 A 281 284 1990
- Ishihara Noriyuki et al. “Experimental Analysis of Low-frequnecy Brake Squeal Noise” JSAE No.9632460 1996
- Yuhas D.E. et at “Friction Material Elastic Constant Measuremnts” Disc Brake Squeal 273 327 2005
- Yuhas D.E. et al “Non-linear Aspects of Friction Material Elastic Constants” SAE No. 2006-01-3193 2006