This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving Finite Element Models of Brake Pads Through Material Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 25th Annual Brake Colloquium
A multi-dimensional constrained optimization method is presented to automatically adjust the elastic parameters of the friction material in order to minimize the discrepancy between finite element modal analysis and experimental modal testing. Application examples on semi-met, low-met and NAO materials show much improved results using the proposed method. Alternative material model that are not possible to use with the current commercially available ultrasonic measurement equipment, such as the orthotropic model, is also investigated.
|Technical Paper||High Frequency Brake Squeal Prediction Index for Disc In-plane Mode|
|Technical Paper||Optimization of Caliper Housing Using FEM|
|Book||Disc Brake Squeal|
CitationLiu, W., "Improving Finite Element Models of Brake Pads Through Material Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3946, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3946.
- Landau, L. Lifshitz, E. “Theory of Elasticity” Pergamon Press London 1959
- McSkimin, H. “Ultrsonic Methods for Measuring the Mechanical Properties of Liquids and Solids” Physical Acoustics 1 Mason, W. Academic Press New York 1964
- Papadakis, E. “Ultrasonic Velocity and Attenuation, Measurement Methods with Specific and Industrial Applications” Physical Acoustics 12 Mason, W. Academic Press New York 1967
- Achenbach, J. “Wave Propagation in Elastic Solids” North Holland, Amsterdam 1973
- Green, R. Jr. “Ultrasonic Investigation of Mechanical Properties” Academic Press New York 1973
- Ledbetter, H. Read, D. “Orthorhombic Elastic Constants of an NbTi/Cu Composite Superconductor” Journal of Applied Physics 48 5 May 1977
- Bucur, V. Archer, R. “Elastic Constants for Wood by an Ultrasonic Method” Wood Science & Technology 18 4 255 265 1984
- Industrial Measurement Systems Inc. “Operation Manual ETEK System”
- Liu, W. Pfeifer, J. “Reducing High Frequency Disc Brake Squeal by Pad Shape Optimization” SAE 2000 World Congress, SAE Paper Number 2000-01-0447
- MSC Software Corporation “MSC Nastran 2004 Design Sensitivity and Optimization User's Guide” 2003
- Lou, G. Lee, L. Mallott, B. “Introduction of Anisotropic Lining Elastic Constants Optimization (ALCO) Method for Friction Materials” SAE 2007 World Congress, SAE Paper Number 2007-0591
- Fryska, S.T. “Development of procedure and governing equations for experimental evaluation of elastic constants of transversely isotropic materials,” Internal Technical Report 1993
- Yuhas, D. Oleksek, L. “Round Robin (J2725) Breif Report” SAE Brake Lining Standard Committee Meeting October 2006