This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Boeing Fuel Cell Demonstrator Airplane
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In an effort to develop environmentally friendly technologies for aerospace applications, Boeing researchers in Madrid, Spain, and industry partners throughout Europe plan to conduct experimental flight tests this year of a manned airplane powered only by a fuel cell and lightweight batteries. The main objective of this project is to demonstrate a straight level manned flight with fuel cells as the only power source.
The airplane is a modified motorglider with a maximum take off weight (MTOW) of 770 kg, a wing span of 16.3 meters and a maximum L/D ratio of 27. The original engine of the motorglider has been replaced by a hybrid power system, which feeds a brushless DC electrical motor that rotates a variable pitch propeller. The hybrid fuel cell/battery propulsion system combines lithium-ion batteries with a proton exchange membrane fuel cell, which runs on compressed hydrogen gas as fuel and pressurized air as oxidant. The fuel cell system is the main power source and supplies sufficient electrical power for level flight. For take off and climb, the airplane's batteries cut in to provide an additional boost. Flight tests are scheduled for later on in 2007 but much remains to be accomplished before then.
|Technical Paper||U.S. DOE Fossil Energy Fuel Cell Program|
|Technical Paper||The Commercial Aviation Alternative Fuels Initiative|
|Technical Paper||Propulsion System Strategies for Fuel Cell Vehicles|
- Nieves Lapeña-Rey - Boeing Research & Technology Europe - Environmental Technologies
- Jonay Mosquera - Boeing Research & Technology Europe - Environmental Technologies
- Elena Bataller - Boeing Research & Technology Europe - Environmental Technologies
- Fortunato Ortí - Boeing Research & Technology Europe - Environmental Technologies
CitationLapeña-Rey, N., Mosquera, J., Bataller, E., and Ortí, F., "The Boeing Fuel Cell Demonstrator Airplane," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3906, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3906.
- Fuel Cell Demonstrator Airplane Friend M. G. Daggett D.L.
- EASA CS-22 Certification Specifications for Sailplanes and Powered Sailplanes www.easa.eu.int
- Diamond HK36 TTC Flight manual http://www.diamond-air.at
- Rotax 912 S/ULS cruising performance; Diamond DV20 Flight Manual http://www.diamond-air.at
- PowerPhase 75 Traction System, Technical specifications www.uqm.com
- SAE AS50881 standard (appendix B)
- MIL-W-22759/34 standard
- SAE J2578 and J2344 standards