This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Minimizing Impact on Climate in Aircraft Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A two-level approach for the consideration of climate change in the aircraft design process is proposed. Depending on the availability of suitable atmospheric metrics, the methodology has been put into practice only recently. The assessment of technology and design changes is enabled with regard to the impact of aircraft on climate. First example applications show that the methodology is not yet ready for full industrial application, but that it can give useful hints for the orientation of aircraft concepts for the future aviation system.
|Technical Paper||Contrail Avoidance Project Summary|
|Technical Paper||Quiet, Clean, and Efficient, but Heavy - Concerns for Future Fuel Cell Powered Personal Air Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Seaplane Conceptual Design|
CitationEgelhofer, R., Bickerstaff, C., and Bonnet, S., "Minimizing Impact on Climate in Aircraft Design," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3807, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3807.
- Advisory Council for Aeronautics Research in Europe Strategic Research Agenda 2 (SRA2) 2004 http://www.acare4europe.org.
- Baughcum, S. L. Tritz T.G. Henderson S.C. Pickett D.C. Scheduled Civil Aircraft Emission Inventories for 1992: Database Development and Analysis NASA Contract Report 4700 Hampton National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Langley Research Center 1996
- Baughcum, S.L. Plumb I.C. Vohralik P.F. “Stratospheric Ozone Sensitivity to Aircraft Cruise Altitudes and NOx Emissions” Sausen, R. Fichter C. Amanatidis G. Proceedings of European Conference on Aviation, Atmosphere and Climate (AAC) Friedrichshafen, Germany Air pollution research report 83 of the European Commission 2003 145 150
- Berntsen, T.K. Fuglestvedt J.S. Joshi M.M. Shine K.P. Stuber N. Ponater M. Sausen R. Hauglustaine D.A. Li L. “Response of climate to regional emissions of ozone precursors: sensitivities and warming potentials” Tellus 57B 283 304 2005
- Egelhofer, R. Marizy C. Cros C. “Climate Impact of Aircraft Technology and Design Changes” Journal of Air Transportation 12 2 2007
- Eyers, C. J. Norman P. Middle J. Plohr M. Michot S. Atkinson K. Christou R.A. AERO2K Global aviation emissions inventories for 2002 and 2025 Final report, EC project G4RD-CT-2000-00382 2004
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Aviation and the Global Atmosphere Special Report of IPCC Working Groups I and III Penner J.E. et al. Cambridge University Press Cambridge 1999
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group I: The physical basis of Climate Change Fourth Assessment Report of the IPCC 2007 http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu.
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) ICAO Aircraft Engine Emissions Databank 14th 2005 http://www.caa.co.uk.
- Isaksen, I.S.A. Sausen R. Pyle J.A. et al. The EU project TRADEOFF - Aircraft emissions: Contributions of various climate compounds to changes in composition and radiative forcing - tradeoff to reduce atmospheric impact Project Final report, Contract No. EVK2-CT-1999-0030 2003
- Köhler, M. Dessens O. Wild O. Rogers H. Pyle J. “Changes in Ozone and Methane due to Aircraft NOx: Sensitivity to Cruise Altitude” International Conference on Transport, Atmosphere and Climate (TAC) Oxford, Great Britain 2006
- Rädel, G. Shine K. “Sensitivity of Radiative Forcing due to Aircraft Altitude” International Conference on Transport, Atmosphere and Climate (TAC) Oxford, Great Britain 2006
- Sausen, R. Isaksen I. Grewe V. Hauglustaine D. Lee D. S. Myhre G. Köhler M. O. Pitari G. Schumann U. Stordal F. Zerefos C. “Aviation radiative forcing in 2000: An update in IPCC (1999)” Meteorologische Zeitschrift 14 555 561 2005
- Schulte, P. Schlager H. Ziereis H. Schumann U. Baughcum S.L. Deidewig F. “NO x emission indices of subsonic long-range jet aircraft at cruise altitude: In situ measurements and predictions” Journal of Geophysical Research 102 21431 21442 1997
- Schumann, U. “Aircraft Emissions” Douglas I. Encyclopedia of Global Environmental Change John Wiley & Sons, Ltd Chichester 2002 178 186
- Shine, K.P. Fuglestvedt J.S. Hailemariam K. Stuber N. “Alternatives to the Global Warming Potential for comparing climate impacts of emissions of greenhouse gases” Climatic Change 68 281 302 2005
- Stern, N. Peters S. Bakhshi V. et al. Stern Review: The Economics of Climate Change HM Treasury London, Great Britiain 2006