This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Step Towards CO2-Neutral Aviation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An approximation method for evaluation of the caloric equations used in combustion chemistry simulations is described. The method is applied to generate the equations of specific heat, static enthalpy, and Gibb's free energy for fuel mixtures of interest to gas turbine engine manufacturers. Liquid-phase fuel properties are also derived. The fuels include JP-8, synthetic fuel, and two fuel blends consisting of a mixture of JP-8 and synthetic fuel. The complete set of fuel property equations for both phases are implemented into a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) flow solver database, and multi-phase, reacting flow simulations of a well-tested liquid-fueled combustor are performed. The simulations are a first step in understanding combustion system performance and operational issues when using alternate fuels, at practical engine operating conditions.
CitationBrankovic, A., Ryder, R., Hendricks, R., and Huber, M., "A Step Towards CO2-Neutral Aviation," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3790, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3790.
- Brankovic, A. Ryder, R.C. Hendricks, R.C. Liu, N.-S. Shouse, D.T. Roquemore, W.M. 2005 “Emissions Prediction and Measurement for Liquid Fueled TVC Combustor With and Without Water Injection,” AIAA 2005-0215
- Corporan, E. DeWitt, M.J. Monroig, O. Ostdiek, D. Mortimer, B. Wagner, M. 2005 “Reductions of Turbine Engine Particulate Emissions Using Synthetic Jet Fuel,” American Chemical Society, Division Fuel Chemistry 50 1
- Edwards, T. Maurice, L.Q. 2001 “Surrogate Mixtures to Represent Complex Aviation and Rocket Fuels,” Journal of Propulsion and Power 17 2 March-April
- Edwards, T. Minus, D. Harrison, W. Corporan, E. DeWitt, M. Zabarnick, St. Balster, L. 2004 “Fischer-Tropsch Jet Fuels - Characterization for Advanced Aerospace Applications,” Paper AIAA 2004-3885, 40 th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE, Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit 11-14 July Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Flannery, T. 2006 The Weather Makers, How man is changing the climate and what it means for life on Earth Atlantic Monthly Press New York
- Gracia-Salcedo, C.M. Brabbs, T.A. McBride, B.J. 1988 “Experimental Verification of the Thermodynamic Properties for Jet-A Fuel,” NASA TM-101475
- Hendricks, R.C. Shouse, D.T. Roquemore, W.M. Burrus, D.L. Duncan, B.S. Ryder, R.C. Brankovic, A. Gallagher, J.R. Hendricks, J.A. 2001 “Experimental and Computational Study of Trapped Vortex Combustor Sector Rig With High-Speed Diffuser Flow,” Int. Journal of Rotating Machinery 7 6 375 385
- Hendricks, R.C. Ryder, R.C. Brankovic, A. Shouse, D.T. Roquemore, W.M. Liu, N.-S. 2004 “Computational Parametric Study of Fuel Distribution in an Experimental Trapped Vortex Combustor Sector Rig,” ASME-IGTI-GT2004-53225
- Heneghan, S.P. Locklear, S.L. Geiger, D.L.I. Anderson, S.D. Schulz, W.D. 1993 “Static Tests of Jet Fuel Thermal and Oxidative Stability,” Journal of Propulsion and Power 9 1 5 9
- Huber, M.L. 2007 NIST Thermophysical Properties of Hydrocarbon Mixtures Database (SUPERTRAPP) NIST Standard Reference Database 4 U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Standard Reference Data Program Gaithersburg, MD
- McBride, B.J. Zehe, M.J. Gordon, S. 2002 NASA Glenn Coefficients for Calculating Thermodynamic Properties of Individual Species NASA/TP-2002-211556
- Molnar, M. Marek, C.J. 2003 “Reduced Equations for Calculating the Combustion Rates of Jet-A and Methane Fuel,” NASA/TM-2003-212702 NASA Glenn Research Center
- Moses, C. 2006 Sasol Synthetic Jet Fuel Program JP-900 Jet Fuel Summit Meeting State College, PA Schobert H.H. June 2006