This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Analysis of Damper System in Torque Converter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a newly proposed damper system in torque converter to minimize the vibration in powertrain system. The lock-up clutch in torque converter makes engine and transmission connected directly. When the lock-up clutch is engaged, the torque fluctuation of engine is attenuated by the damper system. This function decides the vehicle powertrain dynamic characteristics. To calculate the dynamic characteristics of vehicle, the vehicle model with a six-cylindered diesel engine and eight-speed A/T and three damper systems (conventional damper, turbine damper and new damper system) were structured by using AMESim® that is a commercial S/W. At first, the proposed damper system was analyzed by using the damper spring stiffness of previous damper system. New resonance frequency was appeared around 45Hz which didn't exist in previous damper system. However, this resonance frequency was critical to the dynamic characteristics of the vehicle because engine operation range was between 40Hz and 250Hz. Therefore, this resonance frequency should be excluded from engine operation range. For solving this problem, the stiffness of damper spring was changed by using the stiffness equation proposed by regression analysis. As a result, new resonance frequency could be excluded from engine operation range, and the magnitude of frequency response function of the new damper system was less than that of the previous damper system. The torque and speed fluctuations of the vehicle model with new damper system were also reduced.
CitationPark, T., Song, J., Jang, J., and Joo, I., "Dynamic Analysis of Damper System in Torque Converter," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3749, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3749.
- Hayat Olivier Lebrun Michel Domingures Emmanuel “Powertrain Drivability Evaluation: Analysis and Simplification of Dynamic Model” SAE, 2003-01-1328
- Kim Ki-Se “A Study on The Torsional Vibration of Vehicle Driveline Using a Module Type Vibration Analysis System” Doctorate Dissertation Chon-Nam National Univ. 3 4 1988
- Kim Ki-Woo Jang Jae-Duk “The interpretation Torsional Vibration Analysis of Lock-up Clutch Damper in The Torque Converter” 819 824 2002
- Moon Jin-Sung Kwon Ki-Ock Cho Sung-Wook Lee Kyu-Bong Hong Jong-Hae “Analysis of the torque converter Lock-up spring using nonlinear spring” 862 867 2002
- Kim Ki-Woo Jang Jae-Duk “Stability improvement of automatic transmission clutch control pressure” 731 735 1999
- Sasse Char. Frey P. Ide Kazuya “TwinDamper Torque Converter” JSAE Annual Congress Proceedings 2006
- IMAGINE® AMESim® version 4.1 User Manual