This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimum Design of Front Cover Taper Angle in Torque Converter by Finite Element Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since torque converter slip in the coupling range has long been recognized as a source of power loss, numerous lock-up clutch system of torque converter has been investigated. The lock-up clutch in the torque converter improves fuel economy by eliminating torque converter slip at high speed range. Besides, lock-up function at low speed is necessary for better fuel economy. But, when the lock-up is engaged at low speed, NVH problem takes place due to shudder, friction characteristics, and so on. In addition, for more frequent lock-up operations, we need more durable torque converter lock-up clutch system. Front cover taper angle in the torque converter, friction material, contact surface roughness, and damper characteristics are important design parameters for improving NVH and drivability. Particularly, front cover taper angle in the torque converter should be determined on the basis of the surface pressure between front cover and friction Material. In this study the pressure distribution of the contact surface is investigated by finite element method. Moreover, we propose design optimization method for torque converter taper angle.
CitationChoi, W., Song, J., Kosuge, H., Jang, J. et al., "Optimum Design of Front Cover Taper Angle in Torque Converter by Finite Element Method," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3743, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3743.
- Koo,B.C, Kim,D.I., Jang,J.D., Joo,I.S., 2003, “A Study of Torsional Vibration of Torque Converter Lock-up Clutch for 5th Gear Automatic Transmission”, KSAE, Vol.2, pp602-607
- Kim,C, Hyun,S.J., Shin,S.H., Jang,J.D., Joo,I.S.,“Sahpe Optimaziation of Torque Converter Lock-up Clutch using the B-Spline and FE Mesh Smoothing”, FISITA
- SAE Ferrous materials Standards Manual, 1999 ed., HS-30, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, PA, (1999)
- Kang,D.M., Kim,J.S., Jang,J.D., Joo,I.S., 2005, “A Study of Structural Analysis of The Piston of Torque Converter Lock-up Clutch”, KSAE2005
- Logan Daryl L. “A First Course in the Finite Element Method Using Algor”, BROOKS/COLE
- Ogawa Hideki, Hayashi Eiji, Youshida Osamu and Hayakawa Yoichi, 2007, “Mechanism of Shudder Phenomena in Torque Converter and System Simulation Model”, SAE, 2007-01-0243
- Ochi Toru, Takeuchi Hiroaki, Kimura Hiromichi and Watanabe Kazuyuki, 2006, “Development of a Super-Flat Torque Converter for the New Toyota FWD 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle”, SAE, 2006-01-0149