This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation and Experimental Validation of Steering Efforts Considering Tire Static Friction Torque and Suspension and Steering Systems Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Predicting steering efforts at parking speed condition is critical to achieve ergonomically efficient steering system. The most important factor in calculating steering effort is the static friction torque of tires, which are affected by tire loads, kingpin axis geometry such as camber, caster and kingpin offset. In this research a multi-body approach to calculate steering effort and rack-bar force as a function of tire contact patch friction torque is proposed. For validation, the computed rack-bar force and steering effort are compared to the measured values obtained through actual vehicle test, and they showed good correlation.
- D. H Kim - Kangwon National University
- T. O. Tak - Kangwon National University
- M. G. Kuk - Kangwon National University
- J. S. Park - Kangwon National University
- S. E. Shin - Kangwon National University
- S. J. Song - Kangnung National University
- H. H. Chun - Korea Materials & Components Industry Agency
- C. K. Kim
- S. S. Cho - Hundai-Kia Motors
- N. Y. Cho - Next Generation Vehicle Technology
CitationKim, D., Tak, T., Kuk, M., Park, J. et al., "Evaluation and Experimental Validation of Steering Efforts Considering Tire Static Friction Torque and Suspension and Steering Systems Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3641, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3641.
- Gough V. E., 1953, “The Application of Power Assistance to The Steering of Wheeled vehicle”, Proc. Auto. Div. Instn Mech. Engrs, 1953-54, 82
- Sharp, R. S., Granger, R. 2002, “On Car Steering Torques at Parking Speeds”, Proc. Istn Mech. Engers, Vol. 217. Part D:J. Automobile Engineering.
- Song, S. J., Tak, T. O., 1996, “Kinematic Design Sensitivity Analysis of Suspension System Using a Symbolic Computation Method”, Trans. of KSAE., Vol. 4, No. 6, pp.247∼ 259.
- Han C. S., Lee, M. H., Park, H., Oh, J. E., 2001, “Development of Simulator for Performance Test of Electric Power Steering of Light Weight Vehicle”, Trans. of KSME., Vol. 24, No. 6, pp.923∼ 929
- Miao, W., Nong, Z., Amit M., 2005, “Sensitivity of Key Parameters to Dynamics of Hydraulic Power Steering System”, SAE, No. 2005-01-2389
- Schmitt Peter D., 2003, “Prediction of static Steering Torque During Brakes-Applied Parking Maneuvers”, SAE, No. 2003-01-3430