This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Difference of Spray Mixture Formation between Gas-Oil and Ethanol in the Constant Volume Electrical Heating Chamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study deals with the development of compression ignition DI alcohol engine with higher efficiency and lower emissions comparing to the conventional internal combustion engines. The objective of this research is to make clear the spray mixture formation process of alcohol fuels utilizing high-speed visualization technique. The results show the difference between gas-oil and ethanol in their evaporation process. In case of ethanol spray evaporation was rapidly completed in comparison with gas-oil spray even though the latent heat of vaporization of ethanol is approximately five times larger than that of gas-oil.
CitationSaitoh, H. and Uchida, K., "Difference of Spray Mixture Formation between Gas-Oil and Ethanol in the Constant Volume Electrical Heating Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3617, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3617.
- Toepel R. R., Bennethum J. E. and Heruth R. E., “Development of Detroit Diesel Allison 6V-92TA Methanol Fueled Coach Engine”, SAE-831744.
- Heirich W., Marquardt K-J. and Schaefer A. J., “Methanol as a Fuel for Commercial Vehicles”, SAE-861581.
- Havenith C., Kuepper H. and Hilger U., “Performance and Emission Characteristics of the Deutz Glow Plug Assisted Heavy-Duty Methanol Engine”, SAE-872245.
- Hardenberg H. O., “Comparative Study of Heavy-Duty Engine Operation with Diesel Fuel and Ignition-Improved Methanol”, SAE-872093.
- Seko T., Kobayashi S. and Kim Y. K., “A New Direct Injection Combustion System for Heavy-Duty Methanol Engine”, SAE-881238.
- Bartunek B., Hilger U. and Scheid E., “Influence of the Methanol Fuel Composition on Performance and Exhaust Emissions of Diesel-Derived Alcohol Engines”, SAE-881197.
- Neitz A., “MAN-Methanol Engines for Use in Busses”, SAE-885178.
- Richards B. G., “Methanol-Fueled Caterpillar 3406 Engine Experience in On-Highway Trucks”, SAE-902160.
- Miller S. P. and Savonen C. L., “Development Status of the Detroit Diesel Corporation Methanol Engine”, SAE-901564.
- Carroll J. N., Ullman T. L. and Winsor R. E., “Emission Comparison of DDC 6V-92TA on Alcohol Fuels”, SAE-902234.
- Plastow J. E., Chamberlin W. B. et al., “Extending Injector Life in Methanol-Fueled DDC Engines Through Engine Oil and Fuel Additives”, SAE-902227.
- Miller S. P. and Burkel P. A., “Methanol Fuel Injector Improvements in Two-Stroke Methanol Fueled Diesel Engines”, Proc. of Automotive Technology Development Contract, pp417-424, 1991.
- Laing P. M. and Winsor R. E., “Ignition Enhancement of the DDC Methanol Engine - Results”, Proc. of Automotive Technology Development Contract, pp425-437, 1991.
- Miller S. P., “DDC's Production 6V-92TA Methanol Bus Engine”, SP-876, pp11-16.
- Zelenka P. and Kapus P., “Development and vehicle application of a multi-fuel DI-alcohol engine”, IMechE-925010, C389/127, pp-81-87, 1992.
- Zhong W. and Zongying G., “Experimental Study of Using EGR to Raise the Thermal Ratio of Methanol to Diesel Fuel in Diesel Engine”, SAE-931950.
- Goetz W. A., Barringer C. G. and Bozzelli M. A., “Utilizing Neat Methanol and Glow Plug Ignition in DI Diesels: Laboratory Testing of a Single and Multi-Cylinder Engine”, SAE-941044.
- Ryan T. W., Maymar M., LaViolette R. A. et al., “Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of Minimally Processed Methanol in a Diesel Engine Without Ignition Assist”, SAE-940326.
- Bartunek B., Schorn N., Scholz V. and Last R. J., “THE DEVELOPMENT OF A HEAVY-DUTY METHANOL ENGINE FOR LOW NOX EMISSIONS”,US. DOE-CH-10093-245, pp.142-153, 1994.
- Ramesh A., Nagalingam B. and Gopalakrishnan K. V., “Investigation on the Design and Performance of Two Types of Hot Surface Ignition Engines”, SAE-921632.
- Holland T. G., Swain M. N. and Swain M. R., “Using Ethanol/Diesel Mixtures in a Compression Ignition Engine with Ignition Improver Additives”, SAE-922191.
- Dhinagar S. J., Nagalingam B. and Gopalakrishnan K. V., “Experimental Investigations on the Combustion of Ethanol in a Low Heat Rejection Engine Using Different Methods”, SAE-930931.
- Niemi S. and Pitkanen J., “DEVELOPMENT OF A TURBOCHARGED AND INTER-COOLED SPARK-ASSISTED DIRECT-INJECTION ETHANOL ENGINE”, Proc. of 20th CIMAC, D14, 1993.
- Egeback K. E., “Experiences From The Use Of Ethanol for Heavy Duty Compression Ignition Engines”, SAE-931630.
- Gjirja S. and Olsson E., “DEVELOPMENT OF AN ETHANOL FUELED DIESEL ENGINE”, Proc. of 27th International Symposium on Automotive Technology, pp. 283-290, 1994.
- Simonsen H. and Chomial J., “Testing and Evaluation of Ignition Improvers for Ethanol in a DI Diesel Engine”, SAE-952512.
- Murayama T., Yamada T., Miyamoto N. and Chikahisa T., “Nature and Reduction of Cycle-to Cycle Combustion Variation in an IDI Diesel Engine with Ethanol-Diesel Fuel Blends”, SAE-831352.
- Seko T., Yoshida Y. et al., “Combustion Exhaust Emissions of the Spark-Assisted Methanol Diesel Engine”, SAE-861165.
- Siebers D. L. and Edwards C. F., “Autoignition of Methanol and Ethanol Sprays under Diesel Engine Conditions”, SAE-870588.
- Kwon S-I., Arai M. and Hiroyasu H., “Effects of Fumigated Fuel on the Ignition and Initial Combustion Stages in a D.I. Diesel Engine”, SAE-891880.
- Mueller C. J. and Musculus M. P., “Glow Plug Assisted Ignition and Combustion of Methanol in an Optical DI Diesel Engine”, SAE-2001-01-2004.
- Saitoh H., Tateishi M. and Uchida K., “EFFECTS OF HEAT SUPPLY METHODS INTO A SPRAY OF ALCOHOL FUELS ON IGNITION AND COMBUSTION CHARACTERISTICS IN A SMALL DI ALCOHOL ENGINE”, Proc. CD of 30th FISITA World Automotive Congress, Paper No. F2004V222, 2004.
- Saitoh H., Tateishi M. and Uchida K., “EFFECT OF HOT EGR ON COMBUSTION AND EMISSION CHARACTERISTICS IN A DIESEL TYPE ALCOHOL ENGINE”, Proc. CD of 24th CIMAC, Paper No. 162, 2004.
- Uchida K., Saitoh H. and Tateishi M., “Combined Effects of Fuel Injection Timing and Hot EGR on Ignition, Combustion and Thermal Efficiency in a Small DI Alcohol Engine”, Proc. CD of 13th IPC, 2005.
- Wakuri Y. et al., “Study on the Phenomena of Fuel Spray in a Diesel Engine”, Bull. of JSME, vol.13. No.9, 1960.