This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Expansion of Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion Region by Supercharging Operation and Lower Compression Ratio Piston
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Various premixed diesel combustion concepts are suggested as the way of simultaneous reduction of NOx and PM emission from diesel engines. However, every combustion concept has common problems, such as difficulty of ignition timing control, a great deal of HC and CO emissions and limiting the operation region to low load operation.
The purpose of this study is to expand the operation region of Premixed Compression Ignition (PCI) combustion, which is a premixed diesel combustion concept that realizes the fuel injection around the top dead center. As a result of examining it with EGR, supercharging operation and low compression ratio piston, PCI combustion region was expanded to cover higher load operation. And the high load region was limited by not only stoichiometric air fuel ratio but also permissible maximum in-cylinder pressure.
CitationKitabatake, R., Shimazaki, N., and Nishimura, T., "Expansion of Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion Region by Supercharging Operation and Lower Compression Ratio Piston," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3614, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3614.
- Najt Paul, M. Foster David, E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion” SAE paper, No. 830264 1983
- Furutani, M. Kawashima, K. Tuji, H. Toda, M. Ohta, Y. “A New Concept of Ultra-Lean Premixed Compression-Ignition Engine (in Japanese with English summary)” Proceeding of the 12th Internal Combustion Engine Symp. Japan 259 264 1995
- Suzuki, H. Koike, N. Ishii, H. Odaka, M. “Exhaust purification of diesel engines by homogeneous charge with compression ignition ∼ Part 1: experimental investigation of combustion and exhaust emission behavior under pre-mixed homogeneous charge compression ignition method” SAE paper, No. 970313 1997
- Thring, R.H. “Homogeneous-Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines” SAE paper, No. 892068 1989
- Yokota, H. Nakajima, H. Kakegawa, T. Shimoda, M. “NOx Reduction from DI Diesel Engine by means of Homogeneous Charge Intelligent Multiple Injection Combustion System (in Japanese with English summary)” Proceeding of the 14th Internal Combustion Engine Symp. Japan 595 600 1997
- Akagawa, H. Miyamoto, T. Harada, A. Sasaki, S. Shimazaki, N. Hashizume, T. “Analysis and Improvements of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion (in Japanese with English summary)” Transactions of JSAE 31 2 5 10 2000-4
- Araki, M. Umino, T. Obokata, T. Ishima, T. Shiga, S. Nakamura, H. Long, Wu-Qiang Murakami, A. “Effects of Compression Ratio on Characteristics of PCCI Diesel Combustion with a Hollow Cone Spray” SAE paper, No. 2005-01-2130 2005
- Kook, S. Bae, C. “Combustion Control Using Two-Stage Diesel Fuel Injection in a Single-Cylinder PCCI Engine” SAE paper, No. 2004-01-0938 2004
- Matsui, Y. Kimura, S. Koike, M. “A New Combustion Concept for Small DI Diesel Engines - 1st Report: Introduction of the Basic Technology - (in Japanese with English summary)” Transactions of JSAE 28 1 41 46 1997-1
- Shimazaki, N. Tsurushima, T. Nishimura, T. “Dual Mode Combustion Concept with Premixed Diesel Combustion by Direct Injection near Top Dead Center” SAE paper, No. 2003-01-0742 2003
- Okude, K. Mori, K. Shiino, S. Moriya, T. “Premixed Compression Ignition (PCI) Combustion for Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Soot in Diesel Engine” SAE paper, No. 2004-01-1907 2004
- Uekusa, T. Nakada, T. Ishikawa, N. Ueda, T. Fujino, R. Brown, D.B. Paratore, M.J. Ryan, D.M. “Emission Reduction Study for Meeting New Requirements with Advanced Diesel Engine Technology” SAE paper, No. 2005-01-2143 2005