This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Development of a Spray-guided Gasoline DI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Adopting the Spray-guided Gasoline Direct Injection (SGDI) concept, a new multi-cylinder engine has designed. The engine has piezo injectors at the central position of its combustion chamber, while sparkplugs are also at the center. The sparkplug location is designed so that the spark location is at the outer boundary of the fuel spray where the appropriate air-fuel mixture is formed. A few important operating parameters are chosen to investigate their effects on the combustion stability and fuel consumption. The final experimental results show a good potential of the SGDI engine; the fuel consumption rate was much less than that of the base Multi Port Injection (MPI) engine at various engine operating conditions.
CitationChang, W., Kim, Y., and Kong, J., "Design and Development of a Spray-guided Gasoline DI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3531, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3531.
- Zhao F. Lai M.-C. Harington D. L. “Automotive Spark Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25 437 562 1999
- Geiger J. Grigo M. Lang O. Wolters P. Hupperich P. “Direct Injection Gasoline Engines - Combustion and Design” SAE 1999-01-0170 1999
- Warnecke V. Achleitner E. Bäcker, H. “Development Status of the Siemens VDO Piezo Injection System for Spray-guided Combustion” 27 th International Vienna Motor Symposium 2006
- Befrui B. Kneer R. Breuer S. Reckers W. Robart D. Wanlin H. Weiten C. “Investigation of a DISI Fuel Injector for a Close-Arranged Spray-Guided Combustion System” SAE 2002-01-1133 2002
- Sarikoc F. Kettner M. Velji A. Spicher U. Krause A. Elsaesser A. “Potential of Reducing the Nox Emissions in a Spray Guided DI Gasoline Engine by Stratified Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)” SAE 2006-01-1261 2006