This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Analysis of the Stick-Slip Noise from the Crankshaft Oil Seal of the Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The noise of diesel engines operating at low idle is an important noise evaluation criterion in both commercial vehicles and passenger cars. At low idle, a quiet, pleasant noise is required. Accordingly, unusual noise occurrence at low speed is a serious problem, and the noise must be prevented. In this paper, characteristics of the stick-slip noise, which is an unusual noise that radiates from the oil seal at low idle and the generating mechanism of the stick-slip noise in the six-cylinder-inline diesel engine are discussed. In addition, a method to prevent the stick-slip noise is presented.
CitationKimura, J., Iimura, S., and Shigyo, H., "Experimental Analysis of the Stick-Slip Noise from the Crankshaft Oil Seal of the Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3502, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3502.
- Urano Keiichi, Ishida Masao, “Analysis of stick-slip noise of piston ring,” SAE Paper 940694 (1994).
- Trapp Martin, Pierzecki Roman, “Squeak and Rattle Behavior of Filled Thermoplastics: Effect of Filler Type and Content on Acoustic Behavior,” SAE Paper 2005-01-2542 (2005).
- Yamamoto Atsushi, Saitoh Shuji, Komatsu Yoshiyuki, “A consideration on stick-slip of piston oil control ring∼Research of phenomenon and a consideration on factor of the piston ring,” JSAE proceeding 963, 9633883 (1996).
- King Randall, Monaham Russell, “Alternator pulley with integral overrunning clutch for reduction of belt noise,” SAE Paper 1999-01-0643 (1999).
- Connell J. E., Meckstroth R. J., “Influence of pulley profile on automotive accessory drive noise,” SAE Paper 940688 (1994).
- Meckstroth Richard, Deneszczuk William, Skrobowski Joseph, “Accessory drive belt pulley entry friction study and belt chirp noise,” SAE Paper 1999-01-1709 (1999).
- Okamura Hiroshi, Takahashi Masaru, Yukimasa Tatsuaki, “Development of an Axial Lip Type Oil Seal for Engine Crankshaft,” Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Vol. 44, No. 9 (1990), pp. 84-90.