This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Shed-Ice Trajectory Simulation in FENSAP-ICE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A numerical approach to the trajectory simulation of break-up ice in the in-flight icing code FENSAP-ICE is investigated. At each time step, the displacement and rotation of the moving domains is computed from a 6-DOFs analysis of the forces and moments. The moving domains are amalgamated into the fixed background mesh by a hole-cutting and stitching algorithm, producing a continuous unstructured hybrid mesh, eliminating interpolation between domains and ensuring that the fluxes are fully conserved across the entire mesh. To maintain good load balancing on parallel computers, the finite element CFD flow solver uses an efficient parallel iterative matrix solver and domain decomposition to partition the computational domain into equal-sized subdomains. Test cases used to validate and demonstrate the features of the computational algorithm are shown.
CitationBaruzzi, G., Lagacé, P., Aubé, M., and Habashi, W., "Development of a Shed-Ice Trajectory Simulation in FENSAP-ICE," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3360, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3360.
- Papadakis M. Yeong H-W. Suares I.G. “Simulation of Ice Shedding from a Business Jet Aircraft,” AIAA Paper 2007-506, 45 th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Reno, Nevada January 2007
- Steger J.L. Benek J.A. “On the Use of Composite Grid Schemes in Computational Aerodynamics,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 64 301 320 1987
- Chan W.M. “The Overgrid Interface for Computational Simulations on Overset Grids,” AIAA Paper 2002-3188, 32 nd AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference St. Louis, Missouri June 2002
- Rai M.M. “An Implicit, Conservative, Zonal-Boundary Scheme for Euler Equation Calculations,” Computers and Fluids 14 3 295 319 1986
- Wissink A.M. Meakin R.L. “On Parallel Implementation of Dynamic Overset Grid Methods,” Proceedings of the ACM/IEE SC97 Conference 1997
- Zhang Z.J. “A Fully Conservative Interface Algorithm for Overlapped Grids,” Journal of Computational Physics 122 96 106 1995
- Baruzzi G.S. Tran P. Habashi W.G. Akel I. Balage S. Narramore J.C. “FENSAP-ICE: Progress Towards a Rotorcraft Full 3-D Icing Simulation System,” AIAA Paper 2003-0024, AIAA 41 st Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit Reno, Nevada January 2003
- Kao K-H. Liou M-S. “Direct Replacement of Arbitrary Grid-Overlapping by Non-Structured Grid,” NASA TM 106601 May 1994
- Si H. Gaertner K. “Meshing Piecewise Linear Complexes by Constrained Delaunay Tetrahedralizations” Proceedings of the 14 th International Meshing Roundtable 147 163 September 2005
- Smart E.H. “Advanced Dynamics,” McMillan & Co. London II 1951
- Murman S.M. Aftosmis M.J. Berger M.J. “Simulation of 6-DOFs Motion with a Cartesian Method,” AIAA Paper 2003-1246, 41 st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting
- Prewitt M.C. Belk D.M. Shyy W. “Parallel Computing of Overset Grids for Aerodynamics Problems with Moving Objects,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 36 2000 117 172