This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Innovative Concepts for Planetary EVA Access
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study introduces several new concepts for suited EVA astronaut ingress/egress (departure and return) from a pressurized planetary surface habitat, based on use of a rear-entry suit and a suit lock or suitport. We provide insight into key operational aspects and integration issues, as well as the results of a requirements analysis and risk assessment of the concepts. The risk assessment included hazard analysis, hazard mitigation techniques, failure mode assessment, and operational risk assessment. Also included are performance and mass estimates for the egress concepts, and concepts for integration of the egress concepts with potential planetary habitat designs.
|Technical Paper||How to Achieve Functional Safety and What Safety Standards and Risk Assessment Can Contribute|
|Technical Paper||FMEA to Improve the Project Management|
|Technical Paper||SAHARA -A Systematic Approach for Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment|
CitationWebbon, B., Luna, B., Brown, J., Gonzales, A. et al., "Innovative Concepts for Planetary EVA Access," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3245, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3245.
- Wagner. S., “The Apollo EVA Experience Lessons Learned for Constellation Lunar Dust Management”, NASA/TP-2006-213726, Sept. 2006
- James, John T. Chief Toxicologist, Johnson Space Center, “Mammalian Toxicity of Lunar Dust and Related Simulants”, presentation to LADTAG Dust working group
- Cohen, M., “Pressurized Rover Airlocks”, SAE Technical Paper No. ICES-2000-01-2389, 30th International Conference on Environmental Systems, July 2000
- Trevino, L., et al, “Advanced Airlock Concept Studies for Exploration Surface Systems”, SAE Technical Paper No. 2006-01-2234, 36th International Conference on Environmental Systems, July 2006
- Jones, H., “Planetary Surface Access Requirements and Approaches”, SAE Technical Paper No. 07ICES-73, 37th International Conference on Environmental Systems, July 2007
- Schuller, M., et al, “Innovative Schematic Concept Analysis for a Space Suit portable Life Support System”, SAE Technical Paper No. 2006-01-2201, 36th International Conference on Environmental Systems, July 2006