This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heat Rejection/Retention Characteristics of a Re-deployable Radiator for Venus Exploration Mission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper experimentally and analytically evaluates the heat rejection/retention performance of a reversible thermal panel (RTP) which can autonomously change thermal performance depending on its own thermal conditions. The RTP is considered as a candidate methodology for thermal control of Venus mission, PLANET-C, in order to save survival heater power. An RTP prototype was tested and evaluated. An analytical thermal model of the RTP was also developed, and basic performances of the RTP were evaluated. Thermal performance of the RTP when applied to the longwave camera (LIR) of the PLANET-C was evaluated with an analytical thermal model as functions of fin deployment directions and rear surface properties of the RTP's fin. The analytical results showed that the RTP can save heater power in comparison to a conventional radiator.
CitationNagano, H., Ohnishi, A., Higuchi, K., Matsumoto, K. et al., "Heat Rejection/Retention Characteristics of a Re-deployable Radiator for Venus Exploration Mission," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3241, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3241.
- Osiander, R. Champion, J. L. Darrin, A. M. Sniegowski, J. J. Rodgers, S. M. Douglas, D. Swanson, T. D. Micromachined Louver Arrays for Spacecraft Thermal Control Radiators The 39th AIAA, Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA Paper 2001-0215 2001
- Pauken, M. Sunada, E. Novak, K. Phillips, C. Birur, G. Lankford, K. “Development Testing of a Paraffin-Actuated Heat Switch for Mars Rover Applications,” The 32nd International Conference on Environmental Systems, SAE, SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2273 2002
- Tachikawa, S. Ohnishi, A. Shimakawa, Y. Ochi, A. Okamoto, A. Nakamura, Y. “Development of a Variable Emittance Radiator Based on a Perovskite Manganese Oxide,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 17 2 264 268 2003
- Braig, A. Meisel, T. Rothmund, W. Braun, R. “Electro Emissive Devices-Progress Made in Development,” Journal of Aerospace 103 1229 1236 1995
- Murakami, M. Watanabe, K. Yoshimura, S. “High-Quality Pyrographite Films,” Applied Physics Letters 48 23 1594 1596 1986
- Nagano, H. Ohnishi, A. Nagasaka, Y. “Thermophysical Properties of High-Thermal-Conductivity Graphite Sheets for Spacecraft Thermal Design,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 15 3 347 353 2001
- Nagano, H. Ohnishi, A. Nagasaka, Y. Mori, Y. H. Nagashima, A. “Proton Irradiation Effects on Thermophysical Properties of High-Thermal-Conductive Graphite Sheet for Spacecraft Application,” International Journal of Thermophysics 27 1 114 125 2006
- Montesano, M. J. “High Performance Flexible Thermal Strap,” The 39th AIAA, Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA Paper 2001-0218 2001
- Nagano, H. Nagasaka, Y. Ohnishi, A. “Simple Deployable Radiator with Autonomous Thermal Control Function,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 20 4 856 864 2006
- Nagano, H. Ohnishi, A. Higuchi, K. Watanabe, K. Oikawa, Y. Nagasaka, Y. “Experimental Investigation of a Passive Deployable/Stowable Radiator” The 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA Paper AIAA-2007-1215 2007
- Nagano, H. Nagasaka, Y. Ohnishi, A. Watanabe, K. Oikawa, Y. Yamaguchi, K. “Design and Fabrication of a Passive Deployable/Stowable Radiator,” The 36th International Conference on Environmental Systems, SAE, SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2038 2006
- Nagano, H. Ohnishi, A. Nagasaka, Y. Nagashima, A. “A Reversible Thermal Panel for Spacecraft Thermal Control (Evaluation of Effectiveness and Reliability of New Autonomous Thermal Control Device)” Heat Transfer- Asian Research 34 5 350 367 2005
- Ishii, N. Yamakawa, H. Sawai, S. Shida, M. Hashimoto, T. Nakamura, M. Imamura, T. Abe, T. Oyama, K.-I. Nakatani, I. “Current Status of The PLANET-C Venus Orbiter Design,” Advances in Space Research 34 1668 1672 2004