This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cascade Distillation Subsystem Hardware Development for Verification Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Water recovery from wastewater is essential for the success of long-term missions to the Moon and Mars and human crew operations during explorations of these planets. Honeywell International and the team consisting of Thermodistillation Co. ( Kyiv, Ukraine) and NASA JSC Crew and Thermal Systems Division are developing an efficient wastewater processing subsystem that is based on centrifugal vacuum distillation. This subsystem will be tested at the NASA JSC Advanced Water Recovery Systems Development Facility. The Wastewater Processing Cascade Distillation Subsystem (CDS) utilizes an innovative and proven multi-stage thermodynamic process to produce purified water efficiently, and its rotary centrifugal design provides gas/liquid phase separation and liquid transport (pumping) under microgravity conditions.
Key performance and success criteria for the subsystem design are: water production rate of 5 kg/hr max., specific power consumption at less than ∼140 W/kg, and the successful operation of the technology at NASA-JSC. The system will operate in automatic mode and the control algorithms have been formulated and tested experimentally.
This paper discusses activities for the second year of the program, which include subsystem design, component development, selection and evaluation, subsystem construction, packaging and verification. Challenges and findings gained from experience that will be used for maturing the CDS and any other wastewater processing subsystems for future space exploration missions will also be discussed in this paper.
CitationLubman, A., MacKnight, A., Rifert, V., and Barabash, P., "Cascade Distillation Subsystem Hardware Development for Verification Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3177, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3177.
- Rifert V.G. Barabash P.A. Goliyad N.N. “Methods and Processes of Thermal Distillation of Water Solution for Closet Water Supply Systems” SAE Paper 901294 , 20th International Conference on Environmental Systems Williamsburg July 1990
- Rifert V. Usenko V. Zolotukhin I. MacKnight A. Lubman A. “Comparison of Secondary Water Processors Using Distillation For Space Applications” SAE Paper 1999-01-1991 , 29th International Conference on Environmental Systems Denver July 1999
- Samsonov N.M. Bobe L. S. Novikov V. M. Farafonov N. S. Pinsky B. Ja. Rakov V. V. Margulis V. I. Rifert V. G. Grigoriev Ju. I. Komolov V. V. Protasov N. N. “Development and Testing of a Vacuum Distillation Subsystem for Water Reclamation from Urine” SAE Paper 1999-01-1993 , 29th International Conference on Environmental Systems Denver July 1999
- Lubman A. MacKnight A. Reddig V. Bobe L. S. Pinsky B. Y. Rakov V. V. Edeen M. “Performance Evaluation of a Three-Stage Vacuum Rotary Distillation Processor” SAE Paper 2000-01-2386 , 30th International Conference on Environmental Systems and 7th European Symposium on Space Environmental Control Systems Toulouse, France July 2000
- Rifert V. Usenko V. Zolotukhin I. MacKnight A. Lubman A. “Design Optimisation of Cascade Rotary Distiller with the Heat Pump for Water Reclamation from Urine” SAE Paper 2001-01-2248 , 31st International Conference on Environmental Systems Orlando July 2001
- Rifert V. G. Usenko V. I. Zolotukhin I. V. Anatychuk L. I. MacKnight A. Lubman A. “Development and Test Cascade Centrifugal Distiller for Regeneration of Water from Urine” Industrial Heat Engineering, International Scientific and Applied Journal, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine 23 4 5 2001
- Rifert V. G. Usenko V. I. Zolotukhin I. V. MacKnight A. Lubman A. “Cascaded Distillation Technology for Water Processing in Space” SAE Paper 2003-01-2625 , 34st International Conference on Environmental Systems Orlando July 2003
- Rifert V. G. Zolotukhin I. V. MacKnight A. Lubman A. Pickering K. Wastewater Processing Cascade Distillation Subsystem Design and Evaluation” SAE Paper 2006-01-2273 , 39th International Conference on Environmental Systems Norfolk July 2006