This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heat Transfer with Combustion Flow of Hydrazine and NTO in Film-Cooled Bipropellant Thruster
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Flow in a film-cooled bipropellant thruster was simulated to estimate the film-cooling effects. A three- dimensional numerical model contained combustion within a turbulent flow field. The hydrazine (N2H4) and NTO (dinitrogen tetroxide: N2O4) combustion model was constructed for the present CFD thruster model. The combustion model was originally composed of 245 elementary reactions, and we extracted 51 reasonable reactions from that by sensitivity analysis. Then the combustion model containing these 51 reactions was incorporated in a CFD film-cooled bipropellant thruster model. In the simulations, the cool layer was formed close to the injector and reduced the radial wall temperature gradient. And the maximum chamber wall temperature appeared slightly above the throat position that is equivalent to the experimental test. The maximum temperatures with O/F (Oxidizer/Fuel ratio) in the prediction and the observation were shown and discussed.
CitationOhminami, K. and Ogawa, H., "Heat Transfer with Combustion Flow of Hydrazine and NTO in Film-Cooled Bipropellant Thruster," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3080, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3080.
- Ohminami, K., Uesugi, K. T., Ogawa, H., “Performance Prediction of Film-Cooled Bipropellant Thruster”, AIAA-2006-4533, 42nd Joint Propulsion Conference, 2006.
- Sawyer, R. F., and Glassmann I., “Gas-Phase Reaction of Hydrazine with Nitrogen Dioxide, Nitric Oxide and Oxygen”, 11th Symp. Comb., p. 861-869, 1967.
- CFD Research Corporation, “CFD-ACE User's Manual”, CFD Research Corporation, Huntsuville, Alabama, 2005.
- Ohminami, K., Ogawa, H., “Kinetic Reaction Modeling of Hydrazine (N2H4) and NTO (N2O4) Combustion” in Japanese, ISAS Research Note, ISAS, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, 2007.
- Hanson, R. K. and Salimian, S. “Survey of Rate Constants in the N/H/O System”, Gardiner, W. C., Ed., Combustion Chemistry, Chapter 6, Springer-Verlag, 1984.