This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
INFLUENCE OF FRICTION MATERIAL PROPERTIES ON THERMAL DISC CRACK BEHAVIOR IN BRAKE SYSTEMS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 28, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work investigates how the properties of the friction material that acts against the brake disc may influence the thermal crack evolution of a disc material, when submitted to two distinct brake conditions. Three different friction materials were tested on a dynamometer under conditions that simulate real vehicle situations, the first one reproducing usual conditions of passenger car operation and the second one reproducing a normal commercial vehicle usage. The thermal crack growth rate was measured in both procedures to establish the response of the systems investigated. When different friction materials are evaluated in the same test procedure, the lowest crack growth rate can be obtained if friction materials are produced with higher values of compressibility and thermal transmission and lower values of resilience, cross breaking and internal shear strength.
CitationBrezolin, A. and Soares, M., "INFLUENCE OF FRICTION MATERIAL PROPERTIES ON THERMAL DISC CRACK BEHAVIOR IN BRAKE SYSTEMS," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2790, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2790.
- SIEBKE, A. GRUBER, M OBER, R. “The air disc brake in commercial vehicles- field Experiences.” Konorr Brense Systeme Für Techonology SAE International 2003
- BENDROTH. H. STEFFEN. T. FALTER. W. HIDT. R. “Investigation of CV rotor cracking test procedures.” SAE Brakes 2000 - International conference on Automotive Braking - Technologies for the 21 st Century 2000
- JIMBO. Y. MIBE. T. AKIYAMA. K. MATSUI. H. YOSHIDA. M. OZAWA. A. “Development of high thermal conductivity cast iron for brake disc rotors.” SAE Paper 90.0002 Detroit 1990
- MACKIN. T. J. NOE. S. C. BALL. K. J. “Thermal cracking in disc brakes.” Engineering Failure Analysis 9 2002
- IOMBRILLER, S. F. Universidade de São Paulo São Paulo 2002
- POMPON, J. P. The Brake Disc Manual Publicação Brembo SpA 1997
- BREZOLIN, A. “Estudo de geração de trincas térmicas em discos de freios de veículos comerciais.” Dissertação de Mestrado em Materiais Universidade de Caxias do Sul Caxias do Sul 2007
- KAO. T. K RICHMOND, J. W. DOUARRE. A. “Thermo-mechanical instability in braking and brake disc thermal judder: an experimental and finite element study.” SAE Brakes 2000 - International conference on Automotive Braking - Technologies for the 21 st Century 2000
- GALÁRRAGA, E. G. C. Tese de Doutorado da Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo São Paulo 2002
- YAMABE, J. TAKAGI. M. MATSUI. T. “Development of disc brake rotors for Heavy-and Medium-Duty Trucks with high thermal fatigue strength.” Technical Review N°15 2003
- BREZOLIN, A. SOARES, M. R. F. MISSELL, F. “Study of thermal cracks in disc brakes of commercial vehicles.” 8th International Brake Colloquium and Engineering Display SAE 2007 Gramado, Brazil
- FRAS-LE “Thermal cracks test performance for commercial vehicles with disc brake systems.” Internal Report Fras-le S/A Caxias do Sul 2005