This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Small Unmanned Air Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 28, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recently, the development of Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) has been an important activity in Brazilian Aerospace Research Centers and Universities. The major of these enforcements has been focused in the development of medium size UAV's for aerial reconnaissance. Particularly, the CEA-UFMG, start an effort in order to develop a small size UAV (SUAV) able to execute aerial reconnaissance of small areas. This work present the most important phases of the development process of this SUAV. For the construction of computational models for the flight dynamic simulation and the calculation of aerodynamics characteristics of aerial platform several in-house developed codes was used. With these computational tools became possible to design the guidance and automatic control strategies. Initially the strategies were developed for each motion in separated, and finally they are grouped for test ant tune in the 6DOF simulator. Details of embedded hardware and software are presented. Finally, details of aerial platform adaptation are present and a detailed flight test results is showed. This flight test results including: longitudinal automatic control tests; latero directional automatic control tests and full automatic control tests. In the full automatic control flight tests results, several considerations of guidance strategies is presented. With these results, CEA - UFMG became the first Brazilian research center to perform autonomous flight in Brazil with SUAV.
Citationde Oliveira, P., "Development of a Small Unmanned Air Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2734, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2734.
- Bullock, T. B. 1991 “Adjusting PID Gains” Motion Control Magazine May 1991
- VTI 2007 “SCP-1000 Data Sheet” http://www.vti.fi/en/products-solutions/products/pressure-sensors/scp1000-pressure-sensor/
- Vargas, L.T. Iscold, P.H.A.O 2006 “A fast aerodynamic procedure for a complete aircraft design using the know airfoil characteristics” 2006 International Congress of SAE Brasil
- Bryson A.E. Jr, 1994 “Control of Spacecraft and Aircraft” Princeton University Press Princeton 387
- Kochan, A. 2005 “Automation in the sky” Industrial Robot: An International Journal 32 6 468 471
- Jones, R. Dyer, D. Thomasson, P. 2001 “Short Range air vehicle system development at Cranfield” Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology 73 5 480 489
- Millar, M. Smrcek, L. 2001 The University of Glasgow unmanned aerial vehicle system” Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology 73 6 552 560
- Parra, S. Angel, J. 2005 “Low cost navigation system for UAV's” Aerospace Science and Technology 9 504 516
- Egan, G. Tayor, B. Bil, C. Watkins, S. 2003 “Horizon Sensing Attitude Stabilisation: A VMC Autopilot” 18th International UAV Systems Conference Bristol, UK