This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Project Team Attributes for Risk Management in the Product Design Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 28, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The attributes of the project team play a fundamental role in the product development process (PDP), since they, have a significant influence on the conducting of activities, making of decisions and liaison with customers. The importance of the project team is also recognized in the management of the potential risks that can appear during the PDP, because risk management (RM) depends strongly on the company culture and the commitment of the project team involved. However, in general, the culture of a company is not pro-active in the sense of anticipating potential problems that may appear and generally the project team resists analyzing these potential problems for fear of exposing and consequently committing themselves. In this regard, this paper presents a brief introduction on product development and its importance and management. Subjects related to risk management, the product design process and the project team are then discussed. Following this, attributes that influence the acting of the project team in relation to RM, which are considered essential for the successful introduction of the RM processes, are defined. And finally, an analysis of risk management is presented based on the profile of the project team.
CitationGrubisic, V., Ogliari, A., and Ferreira, C., "Project Team Attributes for Risk Management in the Product Design Process," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2688, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2688.
- Ulrich K. T. Eppinger S. D. Product Design and Development New York McGraw-Hill 1995
- Vargas R. V. Gerenciamento de Projetos - Estabelecendo Diferenciais Competitivos Rio de Janeiro Brasport 255 4 rd 2002
- Deyst J.J. “The application of estimation theory to managing risk in product developments” IEEE 1 12 2002
- Ferreira V.V. Ogliari A. Desenvolvimento e Prototipagem Computacional de uma Metodologia para o Gerenciamento de Riscos no Projeto de Produtos. Exame de qualificação, Programa de Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Mecânica, UFSC 2005
- Smith P. G. Merritt G.M. Proactive Risk Management. Controlling Uncertainty in Product Ddevelopment Productivity Press 2002
- Kerzner H. Project Management: a Systems Approach to Planning Scheduling and Controlling Londres John Wiley & Sons 1998
- Pinto K. Project Management Handbook Jossey-Bass Publishers 1988
- Valeriano D.L. Gerência em Projetos: Pesquisa, Desenvolvimento e Engenharia São Paulo Makron Books 1998
- Verzuh E. MBA Compact: Gestão de Projetos Rio de Janeiro: Campus 2000
- PMI, Project Management Institute A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge Pennsylvania EUA 2000
- COPPENDALE J. “Manage risk in product and process development and avoid unpleasant surprises,” Engineering Management Journal 35 38 February 1995
- Ferreira V.V. Ogliari A. “Diretrizes para a concepção de uma metodologia de gerenciamento de riscos para o processo de projeto de produtos,” V Congresso Brasileiro de Gestão do Desenvolvimento de Produtos Curitiba, Paraná, Agosto 2005
- Romano L.N Modelo de Referência para o Processo de Desenvolvimento de Máquinas Agrícolas Tese de Doutorado, Programa de Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Mecânica, UFSC 2003
- Skelton T.M Thamhain H.J. “The human side of managing risks in high-tech product developments,” IEEE 600 604 2003
- Gidel T. Gautier R. Duchamp R. “Decision-making framework methodology: an original approach to project risk management in new product design,” Journal of Engineering Design 16 1 February 2005
- Kendrick T. Identifying and Managing Project Risk: Essential Tools for Failure-Proofing your Project AMACOM 2003