This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydroforming: Benefits, obstacles, experience and opportunities
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 28, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The weight reduction in vehicles is a subject of increasing importance at this moment in the automotive industry following the application of ultra high strength steels. Lightest vehicles bring material and energy economy, and also go in favor of the current environmental politics.
The vehicles weight cannot be reduced without engineering changes, reason for new producing methods of lighter steel components are being developed, reducing the amount of the vehicles components. One of these techniques is the Hydroforming.
Hydroforming consists in use the fluid pressure in substitution of the punch in a conventional press tooling to form the desired shape of the components. The technique is very useful to produce entire components that would be made in conventional way for multiples pressed components joined later. For example, a typical chassis set that would be normally made by up to six presses and welded components can be hydroformed as a single part.
Generally the Hydroforming process is an elegant technique. It is also much more robust and practical that many industries will accept. This robustness will assure its increasing use.
It is intended in this work to present benefits gotten in a development made by Benteler for a rear axle and an estimated cost comparison among conventional press process, hot stamping and Hydroforming for B and C pillars.
CitationGandara, I. and Berti, W., "Hydroforming: Benefits, obstacles, experience and opportunities," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2599, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2599.
- Godwin, J. Materials World 6 8 483 84 August 1998
- Ahmetoglu, M. Altan, T. “Tube hydroforming: state of the art and future trends” Journal of Material Processing Technology 98 25 33 2000
- Siegert, K. Häussermann, M. Lösch, B. Rieger, R. “Recent developments in hydroforming technology” Journal of Material Processing Technology 98 251 258 2000
- Hartl, Ch. “Research and advances in fundamentals and industrial applications of hydroforming” Journal of Material Processing Technology 167 383 392 2005
- Campbell, J.A. “Automating the hydroforming process” Metal Forming 38 41 June 2000
- Kang, S.J. Kim, H.K. Kang, B.S. “Tube size effect on hydroforming formability” Journal of Material Processing Technology 160 24 33 2005
- Kang, B.S. Son, B.M. Kim, J. “A comparative study of stamping and hydroforming process for an automobile fuel tank using FEM” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 44 87 94 2004
- Oh, S.I. Jeon, B.H. Kim, H.Y. Yang, J.B. “Applications of hydroforming processes to automobile parts” Journal of Material Processing Technology 174 42 55 2006
- Yuan, S.J. Han, C. Wang, X.S. “Hydroforming of automotive structural components with rectangular sections” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 46 1201 1206 2006
- Lücke, H.U. Hartl, Ch. Abbey, T. “Hydroforming” Journal of Material Processing Technology 115 87 91 2001
- Daly. D Duroux, P. Rachik, M. Roelandt, J.M Wilsius, J. “Modelling of the post-localization behavior in tube hydroforming of low carbon steels” Journal of Material Processing Technology 182 248 256 2007
- Lianfa, Y. Cheng, G. “A simple experimental tooling with internal pressure source used for evaluation of material formability in tube hydroforming” Journal of Material Processing Technology 180 310 317 2007
- Yoon, J.W Chung, K. Pourboghrat, F. Barlat, Frederic “Design optimization of extruded preform for hydroforming processes based on ideal forming design theory” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 48 1416 1428 2006
- Hama, T. Asakawa, M. Makinouchi, A. “Investigation of factors which cause breakage during the hydroforming of an automotive part” Journal of Material Processing Technology 150 10 17 2004
- Jeong, K. Lei. L. Kang, B. “Pre-form design in hydroforming of automobile lower arm by FEM” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 138 58 62 2003
- Jeong, K. Lei. L. Kang, B. “Manufacture of an automobile lower arm by hydroforming” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 42 69 78 2002
- Zhang, S.H. “Developments in Hydroforming” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 91 236 244 1999