This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Materials Engineering Applied to Automotive Vehicle Weight Reduction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 28, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This article suggests changes in the usually chosen materials for automobile vehicle projects, which often results in heavy products and, therefore, raises engine production costs, fuel consumption and environmental impact.
The methodology used is a critical analysis of the main systems of a hypothetical urban car and, by checking its needs and desired functionality, this article compares the current material options and offers viable (or soon to be viable) alternatives while detailing their impact on production costs and performance.
CitationA. Prado, R., "Materials Engineering Applied to Automotive Vehicle Weight Reduction," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2567, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2567.
- ACEA; JAMA; AAM, Automotive Report, 2002
- Lovins, A.B.; Cramer, D.R., Hypercars(R), hydrogen, and the automotive transition, East Cody Lane, Basalt, CO 81621, USA2004.
- Sloane, C.S., Zemke, B.E., Claypole, G.M. and Laws, L.D., Rationale for Technology Selections in GM's PNGV Precept Concept Car based on Systems Analysis, 2000
- US Congress Office of Technology Assessment, Improving Automobile Fuel Economy: New Standards, New Approaches, 1991
- Kemppainen, J, Stainless Steel - A New “Light Metal” for the Automotive Industry, 2000
- The Member Journal of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, 1997
- Stodolsky F., Vyas A.,Cuenca R., Gaines L., Life-Cycle Energy Savings Potential from Aluminum-Intensive Vehicles, 1995
- Gaines L.; Cuenca R.; Stodolsky F.; Wu S., Potential Automotive Uses of Wrought Magnesium Alloys, 1996
- Milton S.; Grove S.M., Composite Sandwich Panel Manufacturing Concepts for a Lightweight Vehicle Chassis, Plymouth1998.
- DAS, Sujit, The Cost of Automotive Polymer Composites: A Review and Assessment of DOE's Lightweight Materials Composites Research, 2001