This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Structural Analysis of the Aluminum Cylinder Head for a High-Speed Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 28, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the methodology for structural analysis of a high-speed Diesel engine aluminum cylinder head for Pick-up application, considering the finite element method. As boundary conditions, it was considered the loads from the bolts tightening process, combustion peak pressure, and thermal loading. The stresses generated during the assembly of the valve seats and valve guides were also evaluated. The valve train dynamic loads were not analyzed or considered in this paper, due to its negligible effects at the critical regions.
The FE model contains the upper part of the crankcase and the entire cylinder head. Heat transfer coefficients at the water jackets were obtained from a CFD calculation and used at the heat transfer analysis to evaluate the thermal stresses.
The residual stresses generated by the casting and manufacturing processes, as well the heat treatments for the alloy mechanical properties improvements, are also considered on this analysis.
Fatigue safety factor shall be evaluated considering the critical loading cycle, focusing the reliability of the component at severe operational conditions. The cylinder head design shall consider its application, taking into account high combustion peak pressures to attempt the current environmental legislation and higher engine output power required by modern vehicular applications.
CitationMendes, A. and Cardoso, A., "Structural Analysis of the Aluminum Cylinder Head for a High-Speed Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2562, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2562.
- Kreith, F. Principles of heat transfer Blücher Edgard 3rd 1977 550
- Hohenberg, G. F. Advanced approaches for heat transfer calculations Diesel Engine Thermal Loading - SAE Paper 790825 1979 61 79
- Heywood, J. B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988 0-07-028637-X
- Dowling, N. E. Mechanical behavior of materials Prentice Hall 1998 0-13-905720-X
- Norton, R. L. Machine design. An integrated approach Prentice Hall 2000 0-13-017706-7
- Shigley, J. E. Mischke, C. R. Budynas, R. G. Mechanical Engineering Desing Mc Graw Hill 2004 0-07-252036-1
- Taylor C. F. The internal combustion engine in theory and practice MIT Press 1985 1 0-262-70026-3
- Taylor C. F. The internal combustion engine in theory and practice MIT Press 1985 2 0-262-70027-1
- Bosch Automotive handbook SAE 25th 2004 498 505