This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimation of the Muscle Efforts of the Lower Limb during a Clutch Pedal Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 12, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study was motivated by the simulation of the muscular forces developed during a clutch pedal operation. Fifteen subjects took part in the experiment. Four design parameters (seat height, pedal travel, pedal travel inclination, pedal resistance) were controlled. 28 configurations were tested. For each trial the subjects were asked to rate the perceived discomfort. Individual muscular forces of the left leg for each trial were simulated using motion reconstruction, inverse dynamics and static optimization. The analysis of these simulated muscular forces gave an insight into the way a clutch pedal operation is performed in terms of muscular exertion and coordination. Similarities in muscular force patterns of different subjects were found. The way a change in conception parameters of a car interior affected this muscular exertion was also investigated. This last point revealed that some conception parameters did affect muscular forces significantly. The relationships between muscular stress and subjective discomfort were also considered. However, no satisfying muscular criterions were found that could explain the subjects' discomfort ratings.
CitationFraysse, F., Wang, X., and Chèze, L., "Estimation of the Muscle Efforts of the Lower Limb during a Clutch Pedal Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2487, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2487.
- Bridger RS Wilkinson D van Houweninge T. 1989 Hip joint mobility and spinal angles in standing and in different sitting postures Human Factors 31 2 229 241
- Chaffin D.B. Andersson G.B.J. Martin B.J. 1999 Occupational Biomechanics 3rd 0-471-24697-2 181 269
- Delp, S.L. Loan, J.P. 1995 A software system to develop and analyze models of musculoskeletal structures Computers in Biology and Medicine 25 21 34
- Delp, S.L. Loan, J.P. Hoy, M.G. Zajac, F.E. Topp, E.L. Rosen, J.M. 1990 An interactive graphics-based model of the lower extremity to study orthopaedic surgical procedures IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 37 757 767
- Dickerson C.R. 2005 A biomechanical analysis of shoulder loading and effort during load transfer tasks University of Michigan
- Dumas R. Chèze L. Verriest J-P. 2006 Adjustments to McConville et al. and Young et al. body segments inertial parameters Journal of Biomechanics
- Genaidy, A.M. Al-shedi, A.A. Karwowski, W. 1994 Postural stress analysis in industry Applied ergonomics 25 2 77 87
- Harrison DD Harrison SO Croft AC Harrison DE Troyanovich SJ. 1999 Sitting biomechanics part I: review of the literature J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 22 9 594 609
- Kee, D. Karwowski, W. 2001 LUBA: an assessment technique for postural loading on the upper body based on joint motion discomfort and maximum holding time Applied Ergonomics 32 357 366
- Kromer V. 1993 Analyse des forces musculaires au cours de la marche. Approche en corps rigides et simulation en mécanique plans flexibles par éléments finis Institu Nationel Polytechnique de Lorraine
- Legnani G. Casolo F. Righettini P. Zappa B. 1996 A homogeneous matrix approach to 3D kinematics and dynamics Mechanisms and machine theory IFToMM 31 573 587 589 605
- McConville, J. T. Churchill, T. D. Kaleps, I. Clauser, C. E. Cuzzi, J. 1980 Anthropometric relationships of body and body segment moments of inertia Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio
- Thorpe S.K. Li Y. Crompton R.H. McNeill Alexander R. 1997 Stresses in human leg muscles in running and jumping determined by force plate analysis and from published magnetic resonance images J. Exp. Biology 201 63 70
- Vezin P. Verriest J.P. 2005 Development of a set of numerical human models for safety Proceedings of the 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles U.S. Department of Transportation NHTSA
- Young, J. W. Chandler, R. F. Snow, C. C. Robinette, K. M. Zehner, G. F. Lofberg, M. S. 1983 Anthropometric and mass distribution characteristics of the adults female FAA Civil Aeromedical Institute Oklaoma City, Oklaoma
- Wang X. Le Breton-Gadegbeku B. Bouzon L. 2004 Biomechanical evaluation of the comfort of automobile clutch pedal operation International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 34 209 221
- Wang X. Verriest J. P. Lebreton-Gadegbeku B. 2000 Experimental investigation and biomechanical analysis of lower limb movements for clutch pedal operation Ergonomics 2000 43 9 1405 1429