This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Virtual Seat Comfort Engineering through Hardness and Initial Softness Prediction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 12, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the second part of a multi-phased, both experimental and numerical project, devoted to the use of Virtual Prototyping techniques for seat design. The aim of this stage is to assess the capabilities of a CAE methodology to predict some comfort-related mechanical parameters, such as overall hardness and plushness, as a base engineering approach to quantify an occupant perception of both long- and short-term comfort.
For hardness, a simple human surrogate (SAE AM50 Buttock Form) is applied on the bottom cushion of a fully trimmed, current production FORD seat, following a load cycle. For initial softness, a round probe is indented at different locations of both backrest and bottom cushions, following loading cycles. The resulting load-deflection curves predicted by numerical simulation are in good agreement with the experimental ones.
CitationMontmayeur, N., Marca, C., Cabane, C., Dwarampudi, R. et al., "Virtual Seat Comfort Engineering through Hardness and Initial Softness Prediction," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2455, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2455.
- Montmayeur, N. Marca, C. Dwarampudi, R. Kolich, M. Nunez, S. “Virtual Seat Manufacturing and Testing for FMVSS 202a Backset Prediction” SAE Paper 07DHM-11 2007
- Montmayeur, N. Marca, C. Cabane, C. Dwarampudi, R. Kolich, M. Nunez, S. “Virtual Seat Comfort Engineering through Effective Fore- Aft Lumbar Travel Prediction with a HPM-II Dummy model” 7 th International CTI Forum on Automotive Seats Munich 27-28 June 2007
- Sah, S. Hwang, D. Choi, H. Kim, Y. Lee, H. “The Validation of Finite Element Human Model for Occupant-Seat Interface Pressure Distributions and Biodynamic Characteristics under Vertical Vibration” SAE paper 20035431 2003
- Montmayeur, N. Haug, E. Marca, C. Choi, H.-Y. Sah, S. “Numerical and Experimental Analyses of Seating and Riding Comfort” SAE Paper 04DHM-3 2004
- Montmayeur, N. Marca, C. Choi, H.-Y. Sah, S. “Experimental and Numerical Analyses of Seating Pressure Distribution Patterns” SAE Paper 05DHM-16 2005
- Choi, H.-Y. Sah, S. Na, S. Montmayeur, N. Marca, C. « Human Body Modeling for Virtual Seat Comfort Testing » SAE Paper 2006-01-2335 2006