This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Active Noise Cancellation at Powertrain Oil Pan
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Under city driving conditions, the powertrain represents one of the major vehicle exterior noise sources. Especially at idle and during full load acceleration, the oil pan contributes significantly to the overall powertrain sound emission. The engine oilpan can be a significant contributor to the powertrain radiated sound levels. Passive optimization measures, such as structural optimization and acoustic shielding, can be limited by e.g. light-weight design, package and thermal constraints. Therefore, the potential of the Active Structure Acoustic Control (ASAC) method for noise reduction was investigated within the EU-sponsored project InMAR. The method has proven to have significant noise reduction potential with respect to oil pan vibration induced noise.
The paper reports on activities within the InMAR project with regard to a passenger car oil pan application of an ASAC system based on piezo-ceramic foil technology.
- Matteo Redaelli - Politecnico Di Milano
- Roger Wimmel - ERAS GmbH
- Hubertus Siebald - ERAS GmbH
- Heinrich Fehren - ERAS GmbH
- Klaus Wolff - FEV Motorentechnik GmbH
- Hans-Peter Lahey - FEV Motorentechnik GmbH
- Christof Nussmann - FEV Motorentechnik GmbH
- Jakob Nehl - FEV Motorentechnik GmbH
- Anja Naake - Volkswagen AG
CitationWolff, K., Lahey, H., Nussmann, C., Nehl, J. et al., "Active Noise Cancellation at Powertrain Oil Pan," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2422, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2422.
- Fuller C.R. Elliot S.J. Nelson P.A. Active Control of Vibration Academic Press Limited London 1996
- Preumont A. de Marneffe B. Deraemaeker A. Active and passive damping of piezoelectric structures ForumAcusticum 2005
- Forward R.L. Electronic damping of vibrations in optical structures Journal of Applied Optics 18 690 697 March 1979
- Hagood, N.W. Crawley, E.F. Experimental investigation of passive enhancement of damping for space structures AIAA J. of Guidance 14 6 1100 1109 Nov Dec. 1991
- Clark R. L. Saunders W. R. Gibbs G. P. Adaptive Structures Dynamics & Control John wiley & Sons, Inc. New York 1998
- Summary: Properties of High Temperature Actuator Modules April 2006