This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An On-Line, Order-Based Roughness Algorithm
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an on-line, order-based roughness approach for vehicle engine sounds. This new algorithm reconstructs the sound envelope per critical band in an analytical way from the order amplitudes, phases and frequencies. The most time-demanding operations of the classical roughness models are no longer needed, rendering the algorithm extremely fast and applicable in real-time. Another interesting characteristic of this new algorithm is the unique link which is established between the roughness and the engine order components of the sound. Sound engineers can easily identify which order components need to be modified to reduce a roughness problem.
CitationJanssens, K., Ahrens, S., Bertrand, A., Lanslots, J. et al., "An On-Line, Order-Based Roughness Algorithm," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2397, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2397.
- Terhardt E. 1974 “On the Perception of Periodic Sound Fluctuation” Acustica 20 215
- Zwicker E. Fastl H. 1999 “Psychoacoustics. Facts and Models” Springer Berlin
- Otto N. Amman S. Eaton C. Lake S. 1999 “Guidelines for Jury Evaluations of Automotive Sounds” SAE Noise and Vibration Conf. Traverse City, Michigan, US 1999-01-1822
- Aures W. 1985 Acustica 58 268 281
- Daniel P. Weber R. 1997 “Psychoacoustical Roughness: Implementation of an Optimized Model” Acustica 83 113 123
- Tsuge K. Kanamaru K. Kido T. Masuda N. 1985 “A Study of Noise in Vehicle Passenger Compartment during Acceleration” SAE Noise and Vibration Conf. US 850965
- Adams M. Van de Ponseele P. 2001 “Sound Quality Equivalent Modelling for Virtual Car Sound Synthesis” SAE Noise and Vibration Conf. Traverse City, Michigan, US
- Janssens K. Adams M. Van de Ponseele P. Vallejos L 2002 “The Integration of Experimental Models in a Real-time Virtual Car Sound Engineering Environment” ISMA Conf. Leuven, Belgium
- Van de Ponseele P. Adams M. Janssens K. Vallejos L 2002 “Virtual Car Sound Environment for Interactive, Real-time Sound Quality Evaluation” Internoise Conf. Dearborn, Michigan, US
- Janssens K. Vecchio A. Mas P. Van der Auweraer H. Van de Ponseele P. 2004 “Sound Quality Evaluation of Structural Design Modifications in a Virtual Car Sound environment” IOA Conf. 26 2 Southampton, UK