This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Efficient Approach to Powertrain Sound Quality Decision Making Based on Interactive Evaluations Using an NVH Simulator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Traditionally, powertrain sound quality targets have been set by making judgements about wide open throttle acceleration sounds played in a listening room.
This paper describes a recent project in which fourteen target sounds were evaluated against twenty-six existing cars including competitors and current models, using the interactive NVH Simulator approach. It explains how a minimum data method, based on existing historical data, was used to create and validate a simulator model for each car which could be freely-driven but had a limited driving envelope.
The study highlights the role of key programme decision makers and summarises the benefits offered by interactivity in the process of developing, evaluating and signing off vehicle sound quality targets.
|Technical Paper||The Application of Noise Simulation Techniques to Conceptual Automotive Powertrain Design|
|Technical Paper||Sound Quality Metric for Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||Acoustic Optimization of a Muffler through the Sherpa Algorithm|
CitationDunne, G., Williams, R., and Allman-Ward, M., "An Efficient Approach to Powertrain Sound Quality Decision Making Based on Interactive Evaluations Using an NVH Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2392, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2392.
- Allman-Ward, M. et al The Interactive NVH Simulator as a Practical Engineering Tool Proceedings of 2003 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference 2003
- Allman-Ward M. et al The evaluation of vehicle sound quality using an NVH simulator Proceedings of Inter-Noise 2004
- Giudice, S. et al Development and evaluation of a new sound quality evaluation approach for interactive NVH simulators Proceedings of Inter-Noise 2006
- Williams, R. et al Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to Capture and Understand Customer Opinions about Vehicle Sound Quality Proceedings of SIAT 2007
- Jennings, P. et al Developing Best Practice for Sound Evaluation using an Interactive NVH Simulator Proceedings of 2005 JSAE Annual Congress 2005
- Williams, R. et al Guidelines for the efficient measurement, preparation and validation of data for use in an NVH Simulator Proceedings of 2006 JSAE Annual Congress 2006
- Williams, R. et al Using an Interactive NVH simulator for target setting and concept evaluation in a new vehicle programme Proceedings of 2005 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference 2005