This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Coupled Multi-Body Dynamic and Vibration Analysis of High-Speed Hypoid Geared Rotor System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High speed, precision geared rotor systems are often plagued by excessive vibration and noise problems. The response that is primarily excited by gear transmission error is actually coupled to the large displacement rotational motion of the driveline system. Classical pure vibration model assumes that the system oscillates about its mean position without coupling to the large displacement motion. To improve on this approach and understanding of the influences of the dynamic coupling, a coupled multi-body dynamic and vibration simulation model is proposed. Even though the focus is on hypoid geared rotor system, the model is more general since hypoid and bevel gears have more complicated geometry and time and spatial-varying characteristics compared to parallel axis gears. This paper presents a multi-degree-of-freedom multi-body hypoid geared rotor system dynamic model that incorporates a unique gear mesh representation to calculate the combined motion of the large displacement rotation and small displacement vibration. Numerical simulation results are analyzed in both time and frequency domains, and compared to those of the classical analytical methods or practical observation. These results also reveal the effects of the dynamic coupling on the vibration excitation and the transient or nonlinear system response.
CitationPeng, T. and Lim, T., "Coupled Multi-Body Dynamic and Vibration Analysis of High-Speed Hypoid Geared Rotor System," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2228, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2228.
- Smith, J. D. “Gear Noise and Vibration” Marcel Dekker Inc. New York 2003
- Cheng, Y. “Dynamics of high-speed hypoid and bevel geared rotor systems” The Ohio State University 2000
- Wang, H. B. “Hypoid gear mesh simulation and dynamics” The University of Alabama 2002
- Jiang, X. “Non-linear torsional dynamic analysis of hypoid gear pairs” The University of Alabama 2002
- Litvin, F. L. Gutman, Y. “Method of synthesis and analysis for hypoid gear-drives of format and helixform,” Journal of Mechanical Design 103 83 113 1981
- Litvin, F L. Wang, A G. Handschuh, R F. “Computerized Generation and Simulation of Meshing and Contact of Spiral Bevel Gears with Improved Geometry,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics & Engineering 158 1-2 May 25 35 64 1998
- Ozguven, H. N. Houser, D. R. “Mathematical models in gear dynamics - A review” Journal of Sound and Vibration 121 3 1988
- Ozguven, H. N. Houser, D.R. “Dynamic Analysis of High Speed Gears by Using Loaded Static Transmission Error,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 125 71 83 1988
- Kahraman, A. Singh, R. “Non-linear Dynamics of A Spur Gear Pair,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 142 1 49 75 1990
- Kahraman, A. Singh, R. “Non-linear dynamics of a geared-rotor bearing system with multiple clearances” Journal of Sound and Vibration 144 3 1991
- Lim, T. C. Singh. R. “Vibration transmission through rolling element bearings. Part III: Geared rotor system studies” Journal of Sound and Vibration 151 1 31 54 1991
- Blankenship, G.W. Singh, R. “A New Gear Mesh Interface Dynamic Model to Predict Multi-dimensional Force Coupling and Excitation,” Mech. Mach. Theory 30 43 57 1995
- Kahraman, A. Blankenship, G. W. “Experiments on nonlinear dynamic behavior of an oscillator with clearance and periodically time-varying parameters” Journal of Applied Mechanics Mar. 217 64 1997
- Pling, G. R. 1999 “Hypoid Gear Test Rig Transmission Error Measurement Enhancement and Topics in Root Stresses of Several Gear Types” The Ohio State University 1999
- Lundvall O. O. Strömberg, N. Klarbring, A. “A flexible multi-body approach for frictional contact in spur gears” Journal of Sound and Vibration 278 3 479 499 2004
- Meisner, S. Campbell, B. “Development of Gear Rattle Analytical Simulation Methodology” MSC.Software users' conference library 1995
- Alexander, T. Monkab, V. “Development and Implementation of a Tool for Modeling Driveline Systems at Visteon” MSC.Software users' conference library 2000