This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Ultra Miniature Measurement Tool to Measure the Reflection Coefficient of Acoustic Damping Materials in Situ
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel measurement tool is developed that is capable to measure the reflection coefficient of acoustic materials in situ and thus in real live situations such as a car.
The measurement tool is a combination of two novel methods, the surface impedance method , , and the mirror source method .
The surface impedance method measures the acoustic impedance close to the surface of an acoustic absorbing material. The method is very sensitive for highly reflective surfaces , , .
The mirror source method uses a miniature monopole sound source that is placed close by the acoustic reflecting material. A particle velocity microphone (a Microflown , ) is placed close to the monopole source in such way that its sensitive direction is aiming at the acoustic reflecting material and its non sensitive direction is aiming at the source. This way it is only measuring the ‘mirror source’: the reflected image of the monopole sound source. From the ratio with a reference measurement on a fully reflecting plate the reflection coefficient can be determined.
In this paper some results of both methods are shown and it also shown that there is a minor effect of reflecting surfaces in the environment on the measured absorption curves. This observation paves the way for application of the described method in cars.
Citationde Bree, H., Tijs, E., and Basten, T., "An Ultra Miniature Measurement Tool to Measure the Reflection Coefficient of Acoustic Damping Materials in Situ," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2212, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2212.
- Lanoye R. et al a practical device to determine the reflection coefficient of acoustic materials in-situ based on a Microflown and microphone sensor ISMA Leuven 2004
- Lanoye R. et al Measuring the free field acoustic impedance and absorption coefficient of sound absorbing materials with a combined particle velocity-pressure sensor J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 119 5 2826 2831 2006
- de Bree H.-E. et al Two complementary Microflown based methods to determine the reflection coefficient in situ ISMA Leuven 2006
- de Bree H.-E. et al. The Microflown: A novel device measuring acoustical flows, Sensors and Actuators SNA054/1-3 552 557 1996
- de Bree H.-E. The Microflown: An acoustic particle velocity sensor Acoustics Australia 31 91 94 2003
- Liu Yang Jacobsen Finn Measurement of absorption with a p-u sound intensity probe in an impedance tube ASA 2005
- Schurer H. et al. comparison of two methods for measurement of horn input impedance Proceedings of the 100th AES convention Copenhagen 1996
- van der Eerden F.J.M. et al. experiments with a new acoustic particle velocity sensor in an impedance tube Sensors and Actuators A 69 126 133 1996
- de Bree H-E. et al a novel technique for measuring the reflection coefficient of sound absorbing materials ISMA Leuven 2000
- Nobile M. A. Hayek S. I. Acoustic propagation over an impedance plane J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 78 4 1325 1336 1985
- de Bree H-E. et al In situ, broad band method to determine the normal and oblique reflection coefficient of acoustic materials SAE 2005