This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of Damping Material Application Parameters on Damping Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Structure-borne excitations are significant contributors to vehicle interior sound and vibration. Damping treatments applied to the body panels dissipate vibration energy and reduce interior levels of sound and vibration. This paper compares the performance of sprayable dampers and bake-on sheet dampers by considering the impact of material application conditions. Detailed characterization of viscoelastic properties is performed to clarify materials' response to specific baking conditions. The impact of applied material distribution on damping properties is investigated.
CitationSamardzic, N. and Sergiyenko, S., "The Impact of Damping Material Application Parameters on Damping Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2200, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2200.
- Saha P. Hussaini A. “A Graduated Assessment of a Sprayable Waterborne Damping Materials as a Viable Acoustical Treatment” SAE Paper 2003-01-1588
- Black M. Rao M. “Material Damping Properties: A Comparison of Laboratory Test Methods and the Relationship to In-Vehicle Performance” SAE Paper 2003-01-1466
- Symietz D. “High Performance Damping by a New Generation of Spray-On Coatings” SAE Paper 2003-01-1581
- Hussaini “Designing an Interior Applied Waterborne Coating for Use in Automotive Paint Shops to Replace Sound Deadening Pads” SAE Paper 2000-1-1391
- Nakkash G. Visintainer A. Saha P. “Understanding Laboratory Versus In-Vehicle Performance of Sprayable and Sheet Applied Damping Materials” SAE Paper 2001-01-1465
- Lilley K. Fasse M. Weber P. “A Comparison of NVH Treatments for Vehicle Floorpan Applications” SAE Paper 2001-01-1464
- Bevan J. Weber P. King K. “Acoustic Enhancement Using Chemistry to Formulate A Spray-On Constrained Layer Vibration Damper” SAE Paper 2005-01-2278
- Khan H. Sergiyenko S. Reis C. “Sheet Dampers vs. Spray-On Dampers: Current Status and Prospective Applications” SAE Paper 2005-01-2280
- “Laboratory Measurement of Composite Vibration Damping Properties of Materials in a Supporting Steel Bar” SAE Standard J1637